Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The plot thickens!

In a recent post of mine I noted how some lucky soul had their 1971 Topps Alex Johnson (#590) bumped up from an 8 to 9, as noted by a comparison of the pop report from yesterday until today.

Further analysis shows that this wasn't the only bump up between yesterday and today!

#14 Dave Concepcion had a 6 bumped to a 7

#36 Dean Chance had a 7 bumped to an 8

#55 Steve Carlton had TWO 5's bumped to 6's

#100 Pete Rose had a 6 bumped to a 7

#180 Al Kaline had a 5 bumped to a 6

#210 Rod Carew had a 7 bumped to an 8

#229 Jim Hannan had a 7 bumped to an 8

#513 Nolan Ryan had a 6 bumped to a 7

#520 Tommy John had a 7 bumped to an 8

#530 Carl Yastrzemski had a 6 bumped to a 7

#640 Frank Robinson had a 6 bumped to a 7

Only one downgrade was noted...

#55 Willie McCovey had an 8 dropped to a 7

Interesting!

Comments

• TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    looks like a few hundred dollars worth of bumps...
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Sounds like someone was a column off in their data entry.....
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    JRink-

How do you know these cards were "bumped" and not fresh submissions?

Just Curious.

John
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    If the population report would show a decrease in one number with an increase in another - total grade count remaining the same?
  • Yesterday I printed out the 1956 Topps Pop report. Psa 8Q was 1692, today it's 1688.
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    jrinck - I thought you said there was only a couple of 71s graded since the last pop report? If that's so, then these cards aren't adjustments made on freshly graded material, unless the stuff was sitting around since before the last update. Wonder why.
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    My program showed the total number graded for each example remaining the same, with one grade decreasing by one, and
    another increasing by one.

I originally thought I had a bug in my program, but I physically looked at the raw pop report files that I saved directly from
    the PSA website, and sure enough, my program was correctly noting the differences.

These pop report changes happened sometime between 7-29-02 and 7-30-02 for the cards I listed.

The pop report doesn't give info as to when the particular card was given the first grade, so it's hard to tell if this was
    a final stage adjustment or as part of a batch that was returned for regrading.

I'm sure someone at PSA can come here and explain what happened, and why it happened, curiously, to some of the
    most valuable cards in the set. So many bumps up and only one bump down.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure someone at PSA can come here and explain what happened, and why it happened, curiously, to some of the
    most valuable cards in the set. So many bumps up and only one bump down. >>

Let hope its not "Grade & Trade" image