Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for type collectors:

CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm resurrecting my 20th century no-gold type set with varieties for the first time since it was weighted, and have a question:
I have a 1942 Type 2 nickel in PR66, a Mercury dime in PR66, and a Franklin half in PR67. Are these assumed to have FS, FB, and FBL, or is there a 2 point deduction made because those qualifiers don't appear on the slab?

I'm just missing a dozen later date coins, and am wondering if I should also replace the proofs of the 3 coins I listed above with an MS66FS Jefferson, MS66FB Mercury, and MS66FBL Franklin. I haven't paid a lot of attention to this set, and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by buying unnecessary coins.

And no, this doesn't mean I'm abandoning my Mercs. I just haven't had much luck finding them lately.image

Jim
Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the designations you mentioned are for mint state coins and don't apply to proofs. the proofs would require either a cameo or deep cameo designation for the additional 1-2 points or to avoid a 1-2 point penalty.

where there is a choice to use either MS or PR coins most sets have proofs since you can score higher but it would seem to be a matter of preference.

al h.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 99.8 percent certain that the qualifiers you mentioned apply only to business-strike coins. As you said, proofs are assumed to have these qualities because they are struck at greater pressures.
    But someone else beat me to the answer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Jim,

Assemble the set with what you like, unless you are concerned about how a coin's grade or attribution might effect it's resale value. That way you don't get caught up in a "numbers war" with other collectors. I have a couple of coins in my C,N,S set that could easily be upgraded, and not for a hugh price. But I like varieties and have decided to include a couple in the set. It may effect my total grade but that's ok. One is a large cent 1819/8. It's a pop 7 in MS63BN with 1 higher. Nice coin! I could have purchased an MS65RB in a later date for what it cost me, and got more points for it. I'd rather have the 1819/8.

One other thing regarding proof coins, I believe you may be penalized, in some cases, if the coin isn't CAM or DCAM. Maybe someone else can answer that. Or look at the weighing chart for each series in question, if they're weighted.

DAM

Dan
  • Options
    Welcome back! The way it looks to me is you get a penalty for not having those designations on circulating coins. The proof coins get a bonus for cameo. So a PR 66 Merc has the same points as a MS 66 FB.
  • Options
    Edited because I did not know what I was talking about.

Listen to Keith........
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Bill,

Classic proofs get bonuses for CAM and DEEP CAM instead of deductions for lacking them. PR-67 Merc and a MS-67FB have the same points. The MS-67 would be the same as a PR-65, and a PR-65DC would be the same as a MS-67FB.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Keith,

Thanks for the info. I guess I had it all screwed up in my head .

Bill
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input. As DAM suggested, there are some issues where I may use a lower grade, but more collectible coin. For instance, I have a 1982 No P dime in MS65 coming, and prefer that over a 1999-S DCAM. The '82 has some future potential, but the '99 proof will always be common in my lifetime.

I've bought several pieces to fill in the gaps already, but none have arrived yet. With luck, the set will be complete in a couple of weeks.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I'm not even sure if a classic proof coin like this exists, but would a PR69DCAM be worth 71 points?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set