Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Remedial Registry help

I"ve been lurking on this forum for a few months but have yet to find an answer to a problem I"m having with the registry, so I"m hoping someone can help. Specifically I'm unable to list cert numbers in the registry via my Mac. The staff at PSA have been extremely helpful, but it would seem that the site is incompatable. Not having run into this anywhere else, I'm wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem and might have a work around. I don't mean to turn the into a Mac vs. PC debate (due to my business I couldn't change even if I wanted to) but it would be nice if I could do it from my own computers rather than waiting a month of so to have time to find someone with a pc I can jump on.
Thanks in advance- I've learned a lot from the members of this forum about a side of collecting that I hadn't been that exposed to. Plus the whole set registry idea is a whole lot of fun!
Anthony

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Comments

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    ask mike mcastly (sp)...i believe he uses a mac too.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • I have the same problem. Running OS 9. It won't take my cert numbers. It doesn't matter whether I connect through ATT Broadband with Explorer, or through AOL. I have to Use a PC. Fortunately, I have one of each at home.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    While I don't have a Mac, I have had some problems in the past where Netscape doesn't work for these kind of things, and I have to use Internet Explorer. Another thing to try would be to get the latest version of your web browser.

Good luck,
    Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Griffins and Buckwheat - Glad to see more Mac people here and there is a simple solution to your registry difficulties. I had a similar problem under OS X and I asked another forum member who is a Mac user (mcastaldi) who informed me that I would need to use Netscape. Download the newest version of Netscape and enter your set registry information via that browser. You shouldn't have any more problems. Hope this helps.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Griffins,

I emailed Mr. Mike and asked him to address this when he gets on this morning. He's and Mac technician as well as a power user.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    As a Macintosh user, and a Macintosh technician by trade, I may be able to give you guys a hand.

In OS9 with Internet Explorer 5 and 5.1, I have found the following-
    - I can use the forum with no problem. Viewing and entering messages is fine.
    - I can view the pop report and copy-and-paste it into Excel with no problem.
    - I can view listings in the Set Registry just fine.
    - I can NOT enter cards into the Set Registry.

In OSX with Internet Explorer 5.1 and 5.2. . .and with various versions of OmniWeb - the results have been the same as above.

I have found the only way I can enter cards to the Registry from any of my Macs is to use Netscape. I have used Netscape 4.75 and 4.77 under OS9 and it seems to be OK. I've also used Netscape 6.2x under OSX and it seems to work fine as well.

Good luck.
    Mike
    Also note - that the browser within AOL 5 for Macintosh is not only based on Internet Explorer, but an older version of IE (like 4.0 or 4.5).

When I tried to discuss this with the Collector's Universe web team, they seem VERY quick to point the finger at Microsoft. They really had no answer when I asked them why it wouldn't work under two VERY different operating systems (OS9 & OSX). They also couldn't explain why I had the same problem with an entirely different browser - Omniweb. I did find it very unfortunate that they do not seem to take more interest in those users who prefer a Macintosh, but since I did find a browser that seems to work I didn't get that upset about it.
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.