Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG: Bust Dollar Revealed

2»

Comments

  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A superior gtg thread, I see no issue with a bean as graded, none at all. Good luck.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @lermish said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I'll answer the question even though you didn't ask me.

    I guessed XF40. The coin appears processed and unoriginal. Not a bad coin and I'd be fine owning it but it doesn't have the CAC look IMO.

    Not targeted at you, but if the heavily hairlined PL MS65 gold dollar and heavily hairlined proof 65 trade dollar both had the “CAC look” as both stickered, I can’t imagine why this coin deserves numismatic leper status unless there is something not apparent in the photos. A dip isn’t lethal.

    Based on the seemingly low grade, my guess is that in hand, the coin exhibits cleaning beyond what anyone thinks they might see in the images.

    If it’s that bad, it should be in a details slab.

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2026 3:08PM

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @MFeld said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @lermish said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I'll answer the question even though you didn't ask me.

    I guessed XF40. The coin appears processed and unoriginal. Not a bad coin and I'd be fine owning it but it doesn't have the CAC look IMO.

    Not targeted at you, but if the heavily hairlined PL MS65 gold dollar and heavily hairlined proof 65 trade dollar both had the “CAC look” as both stickered, I can’t imagine why this coin deserves numismatic leper status unless there is something not apparent in the photos. A dip isn’t lethal.

    Based on the seemingly low grade, my guess is that in hand, the coin exhibits cleaning beyond what anyone thinks they might see in the images.

    If it’s that bad, it should be in a details slab.

    Maybe. Either way, that's why I don't think it will bean.

    It was likely market graded down to VF due to surface issues. The coin's details certainly appear better than VF.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @alaura22 said:

    @lermish said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I'll answer the question even though you didn't ask me.

    I guessed XF40. The coin appears processed and unoriginal. Not a bad coin and I'd be fine owning it but it doesn't have the CAC look IMO.

    And you can see that from the pictures provided?

    @Davidk7 said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I don't think it is a CAC quality coin.

    Edit: @lermish hit it on the head!

    Again, all from the pictures?

    That's my interpretation of the pictures, yes.

    And @cameonut2011 , regarding the 79 Proof T$ that TDN posted and the PL G$ that p0cketchange posted, those are different coins with different images and different scenarios. CAC isn't immune to making mistakes nor does a coin stickering or not give it leprosy (although yes, the market definitely prefers CAC coins). For the record, based on pics, I don't think the T$ should have stickered but I do think the G$ should have.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2026 3:27PM

    @alaura22 said:

    @lermish said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I'll answer the question even though you didn't ask me.

    I guessed XF40. The coin appears processed and unoriginal. Not a bad coin and I'd be fine owning it but it doesn't have the CAC look IMO.

    And you can see that from the pictures provided?

    @Davidk7 said:

    @alaura22 said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    I graded the coin 45, but I'd be shocked to see a sticker on it.

    Why do you say that?

    I don't think it is a CAC quality coin.

    Edit: @lermish hit it on the head!

    Again, all from the pictures?

    From my experience in dealing with these coins working for a coin dealer who handles PQ coinage including Draped Dollars, Mark and Lermish have already made good points about why the coin won't sticker based on the photos. I don't have anything to add beyond the fact that I agree with what they've said.

    Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @alaura22 said:
    If I were to buy this coin it would have to have a CAC sticker, too many factors you just can't see in a picture

    What about after an in hand inspection?

  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @alaura22 said:
    If I were to buy this coin it would have to have a CAC sticker, too many factors you just can't see in a picture

    What about after an in hand inspection?

    I haven't been to show since I moved out of Ca. 11 years ago
    No shows where I am so in hand inspection is not an option at this time so I relay on CAC

  • Options
    PKingPKing Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

    Bean or no bean this is a fantastic coin at 35 well done

    May the wind always be at your back and the road rise to meet you
  • Options
    EDLEDL Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I looked at the pictures and immediately thought it was netted down to VF35

    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

    BHNC #253

  • Options

    I guessed only five points high and that was based on the coin appearing to be reprocessed (i.e. "doctored"). However, if there is cleaning evident that doesn't show in the pics, then that'd be a second factor in the silent net-grade.

    Official PCGS account of:

    www.TallahasseeCoinClub.com

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've seen other higher value coins like this net (market?) graded like this. The coin looks good first blush then you put it under a light and rotate it and something doesn't look right or original.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @justindan said:
    This coin is in a 35 holder.

    Headed to CAC. Will post followup results.

    Wow, I think the one person who guessed correctly should be awarded the coin as a prize. 😉

    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭ October 4, 2026 6:48PM
    VF35.
    Choice coin.

    What happened to the standard 5 point smooch for the second digit not being rounded?

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file