US Mint packaging ruining coins
safari_dude
Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I was going through a few recent US Mint purchases and decided to unbox them and see how they looked. I was taken aback that literally 60% of the coins in ALL my 2025/2026 proof and US Mint sets were milky and turning white. (They are in a climate controlled area and no other sets from previous years looked like this). Unfortunately, returning them at this stage is not possible. I have to say I am beyond disappointed that this is the garbage the mint is putting out….and I’m being nice with my words. I recently ordered a 2026 set of 70 Ultra Cam ASE's from a company I buy a lot of coins from that developed bad milk spots within a month after I received them. They were as shocked as I was when I sent them photos, and luckily were able to replace them. Is anyone else having or noticing this issue? 
Comments
This seems to be ongoing for quite some time and it also seems to be hit or miss.
I checked all four sets in this order and almost half the coins are developing the hazy/milky look. Very upsetting when this issue was considered one of the ‘sets to have’ due to the cent.
Time heals all wounds. Or, as I once read in a cobbler shop : “Time wounds all heels”.
Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.
In this case it just makes the wounds worse….😩
That Proof eagle is probably rather valuable today.
Coin Photography
Well I’d think, with my history at PCGS, it would be tossed in a genuine holder and labeled not gradeable, due to questionable color.
Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.
I tend to agree with you. Just submitted five coins from different dealers (known brick and mortar shops with good reputations)…and ALL five coins were labeled as cleaned or questionable color. Seems this is getting to be the norm……😒
Been there. Had a 1962 cent from a Proof set come back at QC despite having the same tone a ton of the original ones from those sets have. Still in the QC holder.
Coin Photography
And this is an example, my compatriots, of why I don’t pay for graded silver coins from the Mint unless they’re close to spot.
A PCGS70 with crippling spots will be worth under spot.
And SafariDude, that is a pretty stellar response from the company that was willing to replace spotted 70 Coins, given that it wasn’t their problem or fault.
I agree 100%! I have a great relationship with them and they have always treated me well! 😉
That eagle is likely worth as much as the rest of the set. That's a good one. Almost a blueberry.
“Land of the free because of the brave”
“Saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone”
In Deo solo confidimus
ΙΧΘΥΣ
ΙϹ ΧϹ ΝΙΚΑ (ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΝΙΚΑ)
Member since 2026
Successful BST transactions with: Ted 1, JWP, bigjpst, Vetter, nickelsciolist, ajaan, USMarine6, ad4400, grote15, coinbuf, Gothat3rs, No Headlights, PROMETHIUS88, Harlequin, Coin Finder, Coins3675, CKcollectibles2
.
What is the typical humidity in your area and where they are stored ?
.
Hi Dan,
They are stored in a safe with desiccant packs. I live in southern FL and the AC is kept at 74 degrees. My wife doesn’t like humidity so the air is always on. I checked quite a few other of my other proof sets/coins/slabs and the 2025/2026 dated ones are the only sets experiencing this……