Home› U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I swear that I already knew what coin you must have posted before I even clicked on the link.

    I had the exact same thought when I saw it 15 minutes ago.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Holder scuffs? Except they outline the design.

    "To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So way back in 1986 when I was at submarine school in Connecticut I received a seated Liberty dollar that was graded 64 because of slight hairlines on the obverse but was drop dead gorgeous with hard mirrors and subtle original toning. I always wondered if that coin would have made a higher grade these days and now I know for sure.

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Die polish? Wouldn't hairlines go right up to the relief?

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suspect that part of this has to be raised lines associated with die polish... especially to the left and at the heaviest area in the fields affected. Otherwise... there is simply no reasonable way this coin could end up in a 65 holder... period.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like die polish to me.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭


    Trueview doesn't look as bad, but also doesn't really show the surfaces well. Those hairlines are probably light, they just caught it at an angle that really highlights them.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2026 4:35PM

    @TomB said:
    Looks like die polish to me.

    Straight die polish lines? Hmmmmmm

    Edited to add: For that matter, I’ve never seen a proof only trade dollar with die polish lines. Not a single one.

  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    Looks like die polish to me.

  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not die polish. I think the hairline patch is present on the coin, but the photo through the slab is making it look worse than it actually is.

  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭

    I'm thinking roller marks.

    --

    Ed. S.

    (EJS)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't think they're roller marks and don't think they're hairlines, which makes me think they are die polish lines. Roller marks would likely be more parallel to one another and these are not all parallel while hairlines would most likely go up to and over the devices and these lines appear to stop cleanly well within the open fields. These open areas are the highest point of any die so I think they were polished.

    Obviously, I have not seen the coin in-hand and could absolutely be wrong.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tradedollarnut said:

    Edited to add: For that matter, I’ve never seen a proof only trade dollar with die polish lines. Not a single one.

    Ya sure that’s not because you mostly deal in the moon graded examples? To say no proof only trade dollars have die polish is crazy talk.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You misunderstand me. I have seen many of the early proofs with die polish lines, but by the time they started doing proof only dates they knew what they were doing. Show me another example of an 1879 or later proof with die polish lines.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file