Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1855 Half Cent grade opinion.

ajaanajaan Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you grade this half cent? TIA



DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428


Don

Comments

  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    60

    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU55

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ms 63 brn, nice coin 🪙

  • Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Somewhere between 58 and 62

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SimonW said:
    Somewhere between 58 and 62

    Agree.
    Looks to me like a technical old school 60, mint state with marks and chatter. But 60 seems to be a seldom used grade anymore.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62BN

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    62

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2026 1:05PM

    60BN. There's no obvious wear, but too much chatter for a higher grade.
    Among my own half cents, I have this PCGS MS61:

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @epc said:
    60BN. There's no obvious wear, but too much chatter for a higher grade.

    Not nearly bad enough looking to grade only 60. 😉

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @epc said:
    60BN. There's no obvious wear, but too much chatter for a higher grade.

    Not nearly bad enough looking to grade only 60. 😉

    I thought so too, but looked at my photos, and added the most applicable ones I have, maybe after you replied. The OP coin seems a little worse than my MS61. But I agree that the OP coin looks a little better than 60 to me, and my 61 looks better as well.

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @epc said:
    60BN. There's no obvious wear, but too much chatter for a higher grade.
    Among my own half cents, I have this PCGS MS61:

    I would have guessed MS62 on your coin, as well.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭✭

    But I do like BN early copper that has a healthy amount of coppery color.

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU58

    Nice !

  • Options
    PKingPKing Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

    High AU would benefit from some light conservation

    May the wind always be at your back and the road rise to meet you
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This evening I'll tell what the TPG and the seller said about the grade.


    DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

    CU #3245 B.N.A. #428


    Don
  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2026 2:47PM

    @Walkerguy21D said:

    @SimonW said:
    Somewhere between 58 and 62

    Agree.
    Looks to me like a technical old school 60, mint state with marks and chatter. But 60 seems to be a seldom used grade anymore.

    I agree 😎

    🇺🇸 Harlequin
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
    Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins

  • Options
    BigFrankieBigFrankie Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

    61BN

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think if the markings on the cheek aren't scratches, then 63BN.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file