Home› Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Verlander called it career yesterday

where does it land on the all-time great list? Obviously a first ballot HOFer. But just how good was he overall?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2026 2:53PM

    Tom Seaver is the Hall of Fame comparison I’d start with.

    Verlander has that same combination of power pitching, a long career as an ace, and big strikeout totals. They both have 3 Cy Youngs and if my memory is right - I would call them both durable pitchers but I think pitchers in the old days pitched more innings and complete games are now like finding a dinosaur?

    I’d put Seaver a rung higher overall, but Verlander belongs in that conversation?

    Mike
  • Options
    1982FootballWax1982FootballWax Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

    His Wife brings up the group average

    It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)
    Not even a minute do I buy the whole buh buh buh I'm a man-child japery - Me (2025)

  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Verlander is so legendary, PSA certified a picture of his autograph.

  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @olb31 said:
    where does it land on the all-time great list? Obviously a first ballot HOFer. But just how good was he overall?

    I dont have a list persay, but without diving deeply, I would think that he would be either on the bottom part of the top 10 or maybe top 15.

    I have Seaver much higher. definitely top 5. I also have Clemens, R. Johnson, Maddux, Kershaw, Gibson ahead of Verlander just off the top.

    to add, I am only ranking players who played the majority of their careers post integration. otherwise, Grove, W. Johnson, Alexander would have to be ranked higher than verlander also.

    George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Sign In or Register to comment.