Home› Q & A Forum
Options

Advice for remounting gemstone on a coin

I recently submitted to PCGS a 2023 $200 Gold Maple Leaf UHR Purely Brilliant Collection w/Debeers Ideal Heart Diamond (.25 ct) for grading. Unfortunately, the diamond came off after imaging and before encapsulation. The coin came back PR70DCAM with the diamond just dropped loose in the box. Also, the coin came out of the mount and is loose in the holder.

PCGS is going to re-holder the coin at no charge since it is not secure in the holder, but they cannot remount the diamond (which I understand).

The dilemma I have is whether to have PCGS re-holder the coin sans the diamond and just keep the diamond separate or break the existing holder and have the diamond professionally remounted. In the latter case, there's a risk the coin will incur imperfections in the remounting process.

Has anyone dealt with similar before? And any advice for who would be best to remount the diamond? One thought is a jeweler since they mount gemstones as a matter of course, but not necessarily on coins. Or are there entities that specialize in coin restoration that includes remounting gemstones?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Best Answer

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

    new products new techniques

    if pcgs won't remount it and you require remounting then i'd visit a jeweler and talk directly with the person doing the repair

    unfortunately, the work may negatively impact the grade. technically it may be a details grade since it would be "repaired"

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Answers

  • Options

    @MsMorrisine said:
    new products new techniques

    if pcgs won't remount it and you require remounting then i'd visit a jeweler and talk directly with the person doing the repair

    unfortunately, the work may negatively impact the grade. technically it may be a details grade since it would be "repaired"

    Thank you for your input.

    That's the dilemma I'm - am I better to have the coin in pristine PR70DCAM even though the diamond is missing or have a "complete" coin as minted that is details only or graded less than PR70. It's beautiful coin with extremely low mintage (350 total).

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is the coin actually mounted, or just glued in place.

    I'm sort of surprised that they gave it a 70 (or any straight grade) without the diamond.

  • Options

    @JBK said:
    Is the coin actually mounted, or just glued in place.

    I'm sort of surprised that they gave it a 70 (or any straight grade) without the diamond.

    The diamond appeared to have been glued into a depression as the coin came to me from the Royal Canadian Mint. And yes, the coin is in the holder and was graded 70.

    I decided to go ahead and have PCGS re-holder. I'll take it to a jeweler once the I receive the coin back properly mounted. I'll have to bust the slab to get to the coin to actually have the stone mounted, but I don't want to risk the coin being further damaged until I decide to mount the diamond or not.

Sign In or Register to comment.