Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Forum Format - How to Edit, How to Get Emails if Replies are Made, which posts are "new"???

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call me old fashioned (because i am), but for the life of me, I cannot figure out with the new format how to edit a post or reply of mine, how to arrange to get emails if someone replies to a post I want to follow, and how to easily see if a post is "new" (or not). At the moment, i don't like it AT ALL, as it is not intuitive one bit!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As you requested, I’m calling you - old fashioned. ;)

    The edit option isn’t functioning for anyone, yet. I don’t know about the other questions you asked about but I’m sure someone else will.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think we need to suck it up for the weekend.
    In the past I've noticed corrections or glitch fixes happen Mondays.
    It'll be a stressful weekend for folks on the BST

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @winesteven said:
    If they had professionals design it and test it in advance, we wouldn’t have these issues, would we?

    While I'm not saying there should be no testing, I would suspect with the almost uncountable possible combinations of hardware/software and operating systems that currently exist, there is no practical way to test every one of them.

  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @winesteven said:
    If they had professionals design it and test it in advance, we wouldn’t have these issues, would we?

    While I'm not saying there should be no testing, I would suspect with the almost uncountable possible combinations of hardware/software and operating systems that currently exist, there is no practical way to test every one of them.

    It’s hard to believe they tested any. I’ve tried these functions on a common iPad, and on my Dell Desktop.

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @winesteven said:
    It’s hard to believe they tested any.

    I haven't tried everything but have noticed that the edit feature doesn't work, so there's that. Overall, it seems to mostly work so they must have tested some of it and the majority of the complaints seem to be due to formatting and visual differences vs. the older forum.

    I'm not ready yet to ask for my money back.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

    New forum is simply a dumpster fire at the moment. I wouldn't expect anything to get fixed or improved over the weekend, either.

  • Options
    Desert MoonDesert Moon Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One word - YIKES!!!!!!!

    My online coin store - https://desertmoonnm.com/
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TrickleCharge said:
    Post carefully, if you make a typo you wunt be eble to change it.

    Agree. That's why I suggested that everyone carefully proofread their comments before they post them.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I always poofread.

  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

    The no editing now is especially terrible for the BST as now you have to make a new post every time something sells if you are posting multiple items and buyers will have to dig through it all to see what's sold and what's not. I had that issue earlier and found it to be a big inconvenience! 😎

    🇺🇸 Harlequin
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
    Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ve despised this software platform in general (especially the Markdown formatting) ever since they rolled it out ten years ago. If the ability to edit has indeed gone away, I will hate it even more. But I guess it’s bad form to gripe about free stuff, so I’ll shut up about that now. I do hope CU eventually switches over to a better platform.


    I mostly moved over to CoinTalk after 2016, primarily due to my distaste for this platform. The XenForo platform CoinTalk uses is vastly better, except for two things: one, users can’t edit their posts after about 24 hours or so. Two, CoinTalk is absolutely polluted with distracting ads, but if you are a Suppoter ($29/year), you don’t see them, and I’ve heard a good ad blocker takes care of them too.


    Both CU and CT are good sites when it comes to the people and the knowledge base.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yep. The gear icon doesn’t work. Ugh.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lordmarcovan said:
    Yep. The gear icon doesn’t work. Ugh.

    they are aware it is broken

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Let's give our hosts a break. Once a complaint is posted, I feel sure they will note it and attempt to repair it. Listing it over and over just makes the issue boring. If you have same problem as poster then just hit agree. Saves the boredom of reading same thing over and over. Beat me up, instead, I'm sure many would enjiy it and then it
    becomes a fun string. BTW, I was able to edit this post after previewing it. Not the same as once posted. JMO.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, I'm afraid I could not restrain myself from grumbling since I have always disliked this software.

    But to be fair, I do indeed note that overall this is a nice free thing that our hosts provide for us, so I do apologize for the kvetching and will say that this community has been very important to me over the past quarter-century, and I am very grateful for that. So I do keep that in perspective.

    Oh, and speaking of that quarter-century thing, I have a 25th anniversary giveaway still going, as of this post. Come enter it if you haven't already:

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1125296/lordm-giveaway-151-25th-anniversary-random-drawing-after-10-1-26/p1

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yep, it seams like everything everyone has posted so far, has effected us all?
    Although, here are a couple more...
    One, I'm guessing, there appears to be "New" management in some sort?
    Maybe? I can be wrong?
    And two...
    Another complaint issue, is the fact that now, all categories are coming out together?
    My "Sports cards" are mixed with my "Coins".
    It's hard enough to physically keep my inventory separate.
    Let alone, here on the Forum?
    Lol

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Lol
    "Edit"
    "It seems..."
    Lol
    Sorry.

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Oops...
    My bad!
    I was wrong about all categories together.
    They're fine. OK, carry on...

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @winesteven said:
    If they had professionals design it and test it in advance, we wouldn’t have these issues, would we?

    While I'm not saying there should be no testing, I would suspect with the almost uncountable possible combinations of hardware/software and operating systems that currently exist, there is no practical way to test every one of them.

    You are a nice person to give them grace, but in fact there are oodles of way to test a website's functionality before you roll it out to your user base. Automated tests can be written once and run many times to check back-end and front-end functions. There are regression suites, "smoke tests," and Netflix even deploys things like "chaos monkey" which not only tests in a controlled test environment but in production, to see how well its systems recover from events. There is a methodology called TDD - Test Driven Development - that says write the test first and see that it fails, then write the code and see that the test runs. Finally: there are Testers, who are actual humans who know how a system works, operate under formal Quality Control/Quality Assurance Plans, and who write and execute Test Scripts, and report failures to the developers - and then retest.

    But most of all I suspect some of us would have been willing participants in focus groups, even providing feedback and bug reports, if someone had just asked. I would have.

    Imagine going to click on "buy now" at Amazon or eBay, and it not working. Or hitting "search" on Google, and having no results come up. Or popping your popcorn and getting a beverage, plopping down in your comfy chair, and selecting a new episode of your favorite show on Netflix - only to have no video load. (Well, I guess you still get to eat that delicious popcorn).

    My hobby website Groovycoins.com, new and improved!

  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've just now seen this new format, and all I have to say is:

    W T F ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

    Give us back the old format..........P L E A S E ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

    This new format is VERY DIFFICULT on the eyes!

    Steve

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bikergeek said:
    Imagine going to click on "buy now" at Amazon or eBay, and it not working. Or hitting "search" on Google, and having no results come up. Or popping your popcorn and getting a beverage, plopping down in your comfy chair, and selecting a new episode of your favorite show on Netflix - only to have no video load. (Well, I guess you still get to eat that delicious popcorn).

    If I was paying for a service and not getting it I'd be unhappy, that's for sure. That, however, is not what's happening here. From what I've seen, it appears the virtual furniture has been rearranged somewhat and there are some functions (such as post editing) that currently don't work. It doesn't cost anything except your time to use the message board and everybody is free to not spend any more of it than they choose, if the experience is not to their liking.

    As always, YMMV.

  • Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @Bikergeek said:
    Imagine going to click on "buy now" at Amazon or eBay, and it not working. Or hitting "search" on Google, and having no results come up. Or popping your popcorn and getting a beverage, plopping down in your comfy chair, and selecting a new episode of your favorite show on Netflix - only to have no video load. (Well, I guess you still get to eat that delicious popcorn).

    If I was paying for a service and not getting it I'd be unhappy, that's for sure. That, however, is not what's happening here. From what I've seen, it appears the virtual furniture has been rearranged somewhat and there are some functions (such as post editing) that currently don't work. It doesn't cost anything except your time to use the message board and everybody is free to not spend any more of it than they choose, if the experience is not to their liking.

    As always, YMMV.

    Ah, you assume I pay for my Netflix! :wink:

    Just kidding... of course I do... ahem. And yeah, this is still a good neighborhood, even if some of the sidewalks are cracked and the streetlights flicker a bit.

    My hobby website Groovycoins.com, new and improved!

  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can't see where my last comments were made to what post. Just where I was the OP.

  • Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Tramp said:
    Can't see where my last comments were made to what post. Just where I was the OP.

    Never mind, found it.

  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do not understand why businesses spend money on programmers. Programmers are getting sloppier and sloppier. Even CAC Grading botched up their Coin marketplace.

    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @joeykoins said:
    Oops...
    My bad!
    I was wrong about all categories together.
    They're fine. OK, carry on...

    Oops, again.
    Sorry, I was, right in my saying that "ALL Categories" are thrown into one setting!
    I actually see the proof.
    :#:#:#

    "Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

    --- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file