Home› Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Observation of the day..

I currently am grading mostly with SGC, but I like Beckett and PSA. When I buy graded cars they are usually PSA, but most of the time it is based on how they look in the holder.

In the past couple of years I have sold some nice SGC cards form some premium prices. Now I'm not talking about high end stuff. mostly $150 under type cards and I do pretty darn good with sgc cards. I get prices comparable and sometimes more than the last PSA sells. Which raises the question, (for example), why are psa 10 jordan's selling for double or more of an SGC. You can replace Jordan with many players, just chose that one for an example.

1989 Fleer PSA 10 $4,000

1989 Fleer SGC 10 $1,600

What am I missing. The 9's are pretty close in price, maybe off $30 or 20%. but 60% just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously the POP 10 SGC is rarer and it might even be rarer % wise based on the total pop of that card.

Now I get that PSA has the name brand but SGC isn't a nobody either. Any thoughts?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

  • Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nope.

  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

    Personally, I want all the cards in the set to be uniformly graded. It just looks better having one company grade all the cards as opposed to having to display five different colored holders.

  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Same card, same numerical grade, different audience for the holder.

    It’s a little like two singers who sound equally good, but one is Taylor Swift.

    When the last ticket goes up for sale, you’re bidding against Taylor Swift fans, not just people shopping for a good voice.

    With PSA 10s, some buyers want that specific card in that specific holder for their collection or registry set.

    More bidders chasing it can produce a pretty wild premium. Whether I’d pay that premium is another question!

    Mike
  • Options
    1982FootballWax1982FootballWax Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Slab for cars must be a huge logistical nightmare

    It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)
    Not even a minute do I buy the whole buh buh buh I'm a man-child japery - Me (2025)

  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Carvana figured it out. ;)

  • Options
    1982FootballWax1982FootballWax Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

    🤔

    It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)
    Not even a minute do I buy the whole buh buh buh I'm a man-child japery - Me (2025)

  • Options

    @olb31 Without thinking too hard about it, I think as you mentioned there maybe a HIGH $$ price point range (i.e card > than lets say $4000) where the buyers prefer PSA but at lower $$ cards it makes little difference. I think price theory plays a role in your observation.

  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭

    @HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    @olb31 I think price theory plays a role in your observation.

    Absolutely, SGC is a bargain basement option and a vintage boutique service. Just as they planned.

  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @sayheywyo said:

    @HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    @olb31 I think price theory plays a role in your observation.

    Absolutely, SGC is a bargain basement option and a vintage boutique service. Just as they planned.

    so what do you do for vintage going forward? $60 for psa and 17 for beckett and maybe 17 for sgc? you going to pay $60 for the rest of vintage grading?

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭

    @olb31 said
    so what do you do for vintage going forward? $60 for psa and 17 for beckett and maybe 17 for sgc? you going to pay $60 for the rest of vintage grading?

    Dropped my membership after 30 years this past February. If I ever submit again I'll be very select and only grade cards with a value of $300+. Personally, when I go to shows I don't even look at SGC or Beckett.

  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m going to wait until $60 seems cheap and then sneak attack.

  • Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Observation of the night has been awesome lately.

  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @sayheywyo said:

    @olb31 said
    so what do you do for vintage going forward? $60 for psa and 17 for beckett and maybe 17 for sgc? you going to pay $60 for the rest of vintage grading?

    Dropped my membership after 30 years this past February. If I ever submit again I'll be very select and only grade cards with a value of $300+. Personally, when I go to shows I don't even look at SGC or Beckett.

    Before long it will be only CGC???

    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

    Feels good to be back in the LOOP :) ... Was logged out and could not recover my account... Finally was helped by CU tech team...

Sign In or Register to comment.