Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need opinions on this buffalo please

So i got this buffalo awhile back and havelooked at it quite a bit wondering if theres any chance it could be a 1936 brilliant proof. I've looked online and done my searching, I find alot of the brilliant proofs have similar color/ mirroring as mine. I've read and looked at real 36 proofs and compared the rims and even the liberty letters but I've found some that I can't tell the difference between. Hoping to get more opinions on this. Its a duplicate buffalo of mine and I was about to go through my coins and start getting rid of the duplicate stuff and I dont wanna get rid of a proof buffalo on accident for a couple bucks haha





Successful Transactions dantheman984,jimtyler,perryhall,doubleeagle07,onlyroosies,bigjpst,olahinmah,jwp,Cfioretti,surfinxhi,commoncents05,jclovescoins,LeeBone,WQoarterFreddie,Torey,Relaxn,KISHU1,Mach19,WalkerGuy21D,PROMETHIUS88,
Commemdude,Bundles84,USMarine6, COINS MAKE CENTS,Matt04,Morgan13,coindeuce,defcatnumismatics,ajaan

Comments

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My first thought was a business strike that might have spent time in a keychain and got buffed (no pun intended) up.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    Gothat3rsGothat3rs Posts: 351 ✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    My first thought was a business strike that might have spent time in a keychain and got buffed (no pun intended) up.

    Nope im ok with any opinions. I will say it eas originally in a anacs holder. With a straight grade. But it was not marked a proof. I just can't get past the reflective fields and that color. Was hoping they made a mistake. I've seen lots of grafing misses and mistakes

    Successful Transactions dantheman984,jimtyler,perryhall,doubleeagle07,onlyroosies,bigjpst,olahinmah,jwp,Cfioretti,surfinxhi,commoncents05,jclovescoins,LeeBone,WQoarterFreddie,Torey,Relaxn,KISHU1,Mach19,WalkerGuy21D,PROMETHIUS88,
    Commemdude,Bundles84,USMarine6, COINS MAKE CENTS,Matt04,Morgan13,coindeuce,defcatnumismatics,ajaan

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just based on the rims alone, I would say no.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭

    The rims don't say proof to me, but I'd still keep a coin that looks like that.

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a business strike. In addition to the rims that others mentioned, the last photo shows clear die erosion or striking issues on the neck as well as metal flow lines in the fields, which are not characteristic of proof strikes.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The rims don't look squared off so it's a business strike. You should have left it in the ANACS slab.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The rims, strike and lack of mirrored fields all say no.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It could be a semi-PL circulation strike. I have a 1936 that also has unusually reflective fields that I would almost consider PL.
    It's definitely not a proof.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At first, I thought maybe a Satin Proof yet as stated by the experts above, the rims don't match that.
    Otherwise, it's a nice-looking coin. Would you mind sharing what ANACS awarded this coin as?

  • Options

    It is a Business Strike. The Obv strike is not sharp enough to be a Proof. A Proof would have hair seperation all the way into the knot. That said, it is a nice looking coin.

  • Options
    Gothat3rsGothat3rs Posts: 351 ✭✭✭

    Thank you all for your opinions. You have convinced me. I appreciate it thank

    Successful Transactions dantheman984,jimtyler,perryhall,doubleeagle07,onlyroosies,bigjpst,olahinmah,jwp,Cfioretti,surfinxhi,commoncents05,jclovescoins,LeeBone,WQoarterFreddie,Torey,Relaxn,KISHU1,Mach19,WalkerGuy21D,PROMETHIUS88,
    Commemdude,Bundles84,USMarine6, COINS MAKE CENTS,Matt04,Morgan13,coindeuce,defcatnumismatics,ajaan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file