Options
1956 OGP Proof Set
SanctionII
Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does the half dollar warrant a Cameo designation?


3
Comments
I vote "yes" (easily).
I love it. That Franklin is gorgeous. I would be tempted to break it out, give the Franklin a little bath, and submit it.
Almost certainly
Collector, occasional seller
I guess I ignored your question. Lock CAM maybe approaching DCAM.
yes
CAM yes
The proof set in in route to me. When I receive it I will post follow up photos of the half dollar. If the haze on the half dollar can be safely removed the coin might turn out to be of DCAM quality.
This is one of the dates most likely to deliver for you. If it cleans up, I do think you have a shot at DCAM.
It kind of reminds me of the 1951 repolish DCAM I made. I can't find pictures of it right now unfortunately.
Wow, that's incredible. '56s come nice like that, but you don't see them in cello often.
Coin Photography
Sure would be nice if the half turns out to be a Type 1.
I think it is a Type 2, but the photo of the reverse is out of focus and does not show the Eagle well enough to tell what type it is.
It's a Type 2.
Coin Photography
The second image was manipulated to sharpen the image. It does indeed look like a type 2.
My surprise is now ruined.
The first thing I did yesterday was check that Eagle. In the vernacular of @littlewicher ”I concur” with the Type 2 assessment. As far as the expected grade, that is next to impossible to know with those images. Though 1956 often comes very nice, I don’t believe this will be a DCAM since ther looks to be uneven frost breaks on both sides.
Also, being in that cello for 70 years might seem like a good thing, it also leads to the probability of hairlines, a real grade killer.
Kevin, please provide us with some good images when the set arrives, showing both the attributes and deficiencies.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety," --- Benjamin Franklin
Sorry.
The surprise will be CAM v. DCAM and how well it cleans up after a bath.
Maywood.
On my receipt of the OGP set I will take and post photos of the half dollar in the cello, out of the cello, pre-bath and post bath.
I am curious about your opinion of the grade and designation (if any) of this half dollar after seeing the photos of the OGP posted on the EBay listing.
Kevin
Hopefully, I'm wrong?

Beautiful Specimen!
However, from the pictures of the top of the Bell.
It appears to be dulled instead of the full "Frost" Cameo???
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong!
Nice set!
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.I have been notified that the proof set is going to be delivered to me today.
By coincidence, I have a 1956 proof set ( in OGP ) en route also. . .Good luck with your purchase.
cptbilly
Same to you.
The set has arrived. The half is a Type2.
Here are photos of the half in the Cello. Quite frosty.
The half is not a variety. It has light haze. For the high points on the devices that usually show little to no frost, that is mostly not present on this half dollar.
I will remove the haze later today. The coin should look better after a bath.
Here are photos of the coin out of the cello.
That is going to be a stunner after a light bath.
It looks like you’re off to a good start for your next submission.
Post bath photos attached. The half cleaned up nicely. It has deeply mirrored fields and thick frost on both sides. IMO it should CAM. DCAM, who knows.
As far as a grade goes, I doubt it will get a 65 due to hairlines on the obverse.
Whether to submit or keep it raw, I have yet to decide.
Two more photos.
Can you post a photo that shows the hairlines?
I guess if nothing else it will look really good in an album set.
Collector, occasional seller
Thank you for sharing the "before" and "after" photos, SanctionII. What did you use for the bath ?
Yep, after the bath. I have to change my opinion whether it would Cam or not.

Congratulations!
Looks like it WILL Cam now, maybe even DCam?
Wow!
"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!
--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.Easy CAM. My only question regarding DCAM is the rare breaks on the high points. Did you use MS70 or EZest?