Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stack’s Bowers Minimum Spending

I placed my first-ever bid on the Stack’s website for a coin worth about $900, and got this message:

I didn’t realize their auctions (at least some of them) have minimum spending limits. Learned something new.

Comments

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have won a couple of S&B auctions that were under 4 figures, although it has been about a year since doing so.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Seems like they forget to give you a bidding limit. Just call them and they will fix it. (Ask for more than $15k because you may have some of your limit tied up on bids you will eventually lose.)

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The hobby of kings.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 43,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's not a minimum "spending limit", despite their terminology. You need to have a minimum bid limit. I think 15,000 is the default. You must not have any assigned bid limit. Your registration is probably incomplete.

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2026 9:26AM

    It's a maximum, not a minimum. Ask them to make it as high as you think you ever might go. And it is not a per coin limit, it's for your total bidding at any given time.

    Edit - It's a "maximum" bid/buy limit, but as stated above, one must have that maximum set to some minimum value to participate...

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You need to check your limits in your profile.

  • Options
    cinque1543cinque1543 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    It's not a minimum "spending limit", despite their terminology. You need to have a minimum bid limit. I think 15,000 is the default. You must not have any assigned bid limit. Your registration is probably incomplete.

    Thanks for clarifying the terminology. This is what I see in my SB profile:

    It appears I am able to bid up to $10,000, but not the $15,000 "bidding / spending" limit for the particular auction that I was trying to participate in. I'll have to contact SB and see what's going on.

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2026 9:18AM

    Strange... I just logged in to see if I recalled my SB bid/buy limit correctly. It was showing just $5000. I also noticed that my phone number was marked as unverified. After getting a text message code and entering it to verify the number with them, my bid/buy limit updated to the higher value I thought it was.

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I also like it that Heritage does not impose a limit.

    Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 43,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @epc said:
    I also like it that Heritage does not impose a limit.

    Except I once bid $99,999,999 by accident.

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @epc said:
    I also like it that Heritage does not impose a limit.

    Except I once bid $99,999,999 by accident.

    Did you win the coin?

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 43,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lermish said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @epc said:
    I also like it that Heritage does not impose a limit.

    Except I once bid $99,999,999 by accident.

    Did you win the coin?

    Lol. Fortunately, HA allows you to change your bid down with the exception that you must remain the high bidder. So, I DID win the coin but only at my adjusted maximum of $250

    [I actually still own the coin because I'm kind of buried in it. 😆]

    All comments reflect the opinion of the author, even when irrefutably accurate.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lermish said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @epc said:
    I also like it that Heritage does not impose a limit.

    Except I once bid $99,999,999 by accident.

    Did you win the coin?

    (Makes ya wonder how many people have tried something similar) 🤔

  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭

    I believe SB has different limits for Numismatic vs. bullion auctions. The bullion auctions may have a min limit of $15k.

    Gene

    Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

    Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    cinque1543cinque1543 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭

    @1960NYGiants said:
    I believe SB has different limits for Numismatic vs. bullion auctions. The bullion auctions may have a min limit of $15k.

    You are correct. I called SB and they upped my limit to $15k, which is the minimum required for bullion auctions. As an aside, I didn't realize I was bidding in a bullion auction. And when I look at the coin I wanted, there is nothing on the webpage to denote it's part of a bullion auction. I'll have to go back and figure out how to identify bullion auctions!

  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭

    .> @cinque1543 said:

    @1960NYGiants said:
    I believe SB has different limits for Numismatic vs. bullion auctions. The bullion auctions may have a min limit of $15k.

    You are correct. I called SB and they upped my limit to $15k, which is the minimum required for bullion auctions. As an aside, I didn't realize I was bidding in a bullion auction. And when I look at the coin I wanted, there is nothing on the webpage to denote it's part of a bullion auction. I'll have to go back and figure out how to identify bullion auctions!

    The listings will have a side flag on the right noting gold or silver or platinum.

    Gene

    Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

    Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    cinque1543cinque1543 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭

    @1960NYGiants said:

    The listings will have a side flag on the right noting gold or silver or platinum.

    This is the coin as it appears in the SB iOS app. I guess you mean the “gold” indicator bottom right (I put the red box around it). Thanks again!

  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cinque1543 said:

    @1960NYGiants said:
    I believe SB has different limits for Numismatic vs. bullion auctions. The bullion auctions may have a min limit of $15k.

    You are correct. I called SB and they upped my limit to $15k, which is the minimum required for bullion auctions. As an aside, I didn't realize I was bidding in a bullion auction. And when I look at the coin I wanted, there is nothing on the webpage to denote it's part of a bullion auction. I'll have to go back and figure out how to identify bullion auctions!

    The bullion auctions have no BP, show actual weights in the titles, and are bid using percentages instead of dollar amounts.

    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

  • Options
    cinque1543cinque1543 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭

    @jacrispies said:

    The bullion auctions have no BP, show actual weights in the titles, and are bid using percentages instead of dollar amounts.

    Thank you. Very helpful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file