Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Full Bell Lines on Franklin Half Dollars

Comments

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

    FBL
    Full Bell Lines
    Franklin Half Dollars:
    MS60 or better. Must exhibit complete, uninterrupted lower lines on
    the Liberty bell.

    for posterity and future education, i suggest pasting the text into a post instead of using an image

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

    the "not fbl" image does not show the bell from 1 side to the other

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not from what I can see from here

  • Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 92 ✭✭✭


    I thought I'd give it a try and sent this 53-S in 4-5 years ago but didn't get lucky. MS65 no bell lines.

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gemstrike said:

    I thought I'd give it a try and sent this 53-S in 4-5 years ago but didn't get lucky. MS65 no bell lines.

    I would probably try that one again

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

    seems like none of the 4 are fbl

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

    May I join the discussion about Franklin half dollar Full Bell Lines? I’ve completed an MS65-or-better Franklin set, which you can see in the PCGS Set Registry under BEBPE.

    I’m attaching a Word report comparing 11 different 1953-S halves: eight coins shown on PCGS and three I own. Mine are a PCGS MS66 without the FBL designation, an NGC MS65 FBL, and an ICG MS65 FBL.

    I had the coins independently ranked by their photographed bell-line characteristics, apart from the grades and designations assigned by PCGS and NGC. I respect the analysis, but the pictures speak for themselves. Please take a close look at how each coin was assessed, including the line separation, the normal center bell crack, and places where the lower rim may touch or interrupt the lowest line.

    I’d welcome your thoughts on the rankings and, especially, whether the lower lines on my PCGS MS66 merit an FBL designation. If you see something the report missed or interpreted incorrectly, I’d appreciate hearing it.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

    many here, including me, don't open attachments

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file