Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this gold dollar have a shot at a PL designation?

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it is hard to tell from photos , but it does have a cameo look. Just won it at auction, not in hand yet.

liefgold

Comments

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes it has a shot if mirrored enough in hand.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 6:37AM

    And regardless, it is certainly a gorgeous example.

    P.S. In theory the same standards that apply for Morgans should apply; however, my experience has been that NGC, PCGS, and CAC are not consistent in that. There is some variation with each series.

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 9:09AM

    Beautiful coin. I’ll guess semi-PL.

    The obverse may have a bit too much cartwheel/flowlines to make PL. Many, although not all, of the PL gold dollars on CoinFacts show more fully darkened or brightened fields in photos.

    Also, there’s not a single PL in the PCGS pop for 1860. Not impossible to make the first, but I think it’ll have more scrutiny in the grading room without any precedent.

    PL gold dollars are interesting. I went down a rabbit hole on the 1889. I have a semi-PL coin struck from the same dies as proofs. I also found (edit: while researching) at least one coin that went from a PL holder to a proof holder, and CAC’d in both 🤷‍♂️

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Has a shot

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes. A wonderful looking coin to

  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:
    Yes it has a shot if mirrored enough in hand.

    My initial reaction was to laugh. But your post was right on point - we can’t provide a solid answer based on just the images.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 7:46AM

    @MFeld said:

    @cameonut2011 said:
    Yes it has a shot if mirrored enough in hand.

    My initial reaction was to laugh. But your post was right on point - we can’t provide a solid answer based on just the images.

    I was vague in my comments. Obviously any coin has a shot if mirrored in hand. What I meant is that the photos certainly suggest significant reflectivity of the fields. If sufficiently strong and if there are not significant patches of disruption by patches of frosty luster, then yes. I think the coin has a shot, but it is not a slam dunk. Based on the photos, I would feel comfortable describing it as at least semi PL.

  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RedRocket said:
    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

    Well, I thought so also, but my avatar failed when resubmitted. So I have a tough time guessing correctly.

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:

    PL gold dollars are interesting. I went down a rabbit hole on the 1889. I have a semi-PL coin struck from the same dies as proofs. I also found at least one coin that went from a PL holder to a proof holder, and CAC’d in both 🤷‍♂️

    Impressive cherrypick on a real proof!

    liefgold
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @liefgold said:

    @RedRocket said:
    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

    Well, I thought so also, but my avatar failed when resubmitted. So I have a tough time guessing correctly.

    What does the reverse look like? Do you have large obverse and reverse images or a video of it?

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 9:18AM

    @liefgold said:
    Impressive cherrypick on a real proof!

    Oops, I didn’t mean to imply that it was my coin. I “found” it during my research. Nevertheless, an impressive upgrade for whomever owned it at the time.

    Edit to add: not only that, but I am not convinced that the coin that upgraded to proof is actually a proof. But, I don’t want to derail your thread, so if others are interested in that, here’s the post: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1121578/hairlines-on-a-gem-cac-approved-gold-dollar-update-5-30-back-from-cac

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 9:29AM

    .

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2026 9:30AM

    deleted

  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @liefgold said:

    @RedRocket said:
    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

    Well, I thought so also, but my avatar failed when resubmitted. So I have a tough time guessing correctly.

    What does the reverse look like? Do you have large obverse and reverse images or a video of it?

    I have a couple gold dollars that are designated as PL and this one looks better. Go figure.

    liefgold
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Worthy of reconsideration?

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @liefgold said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @liefgold said:

    @RedRocket said:
    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

    Well, I thought so also, but my avatar failed when resubmitted. So I have a tough time guessing correctly.

    What does the reverse look like? Do you have large obverse and reverse images or a video of it?

    I have a couple gold dollars that are designated as PL and this one looks better. Go figure.

    Based on the images, while it’s flashing looking, I wouldn’t expect a PL designation for that coin.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the input everyone.
    I guess that is why there is none with PL at NGC or PCGS for the 1869, and one for the 1860.

    liefgold
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2026 8:35AM

    Yes it has a shot at PL. Really nice coin.

    Investor
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @liefgold said:

    @cameonut2011 said:

    @liefgold said:

    @RedRocket said:
    Your Avatar has more of a shot.

    Well, I thought so also, but my avatar failed when resubmitted. So I have a tough time guessing correctly.

    What does the reverse look like? Do you have large obverse and reverse images or a video of it?

    I have a couple gold dollars that are designated as PL and this one looks better. Go figure.

    Based on the images, while it’s flashing looking, I wouldn’t expect a PL designation for that coin.

    I agree. Too much mint frost/luster. I could see calling the obverse semi PL.

  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ^
    Personally, I think the reverse is what held it back.

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

    To the question of the op coin and from only the TV I think it would not be designated PL.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file