Received a Scam/Phishing Email Supposedly from CAC Grading
TomB
Posts: 23,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a heads-up to everyone.
Yesterday I received a scam or phishing email from an email address ending in remit-invoices.org and the title was about an outstanding account balance owed to CAC Grading. This was to my business address and I imagine they simply scraped the info off of the CAC website. There was no account number embedded in it and no outstanding balance specifically mentioned, but contact information was included and I assume they hope folks will get in touch with them and follow through on payments.
I was highly suspicious of the email so I reached out to help@cacgrading.com and gave them the information in the email. A member of the CACG staff responded quickly and told me it was indeed a scam or phishing attempt. The fake email sent to me was of much higher quality than typically seen in my experience. So if you have contact information listed on the PCGS or NGC sites, such as for an authorized dealer list, the same could be done here as well.
Just thought this might help someone else.

Comments
thanks for the heads up
Something like that would be easily verified and rejected and doubt it would fool anyone.
Thanks for posting 😎👍
🇺🇸 Harlequin
harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins
I get a lot of scam message. I delete anything that requires me to call a phone number or click on a link.
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire
Would you say worthy of a green sticker... or perhaps even gold?!
Security aside, I do that just because I'm lazy and don't like talking to random people
If spam never worked they wouldn't waste their effort on it. Fact is it works on a small percentage of people, enough to profit from it.
Rare-Change.com - Low listing fee
Did you receive this email as well? I posted this because it was so much better than what is generally seen. Do you agree from your experience receiving this email?
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
I think this is a kind of way of telling the previous poster to not be so rude.
I'm sorry you got this scam, thanks for letting us know. It's common knowledge that scammers use a lot of databases to send out phishing emails; if you are on any coin dealer website list chances are you'll get a fair number regularly looking for coins they can fence after ripping them somehow; I get several every week and just delete them.
In addition to being extremely knowledgeable about coins, @TomB is highly intelligent and articulate. So when he says “I posted this because it was so much better than what is generally seen.”, I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it.
Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.
OR, you could have said, Thanks @TomB for the heads up!
Mike
My Indians
Dansco Set