Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New eBay bidding change going on: last 60 seconds..

13»

Comments

  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m not yet fully convinced that I can’t counteract others’ irrational bidding strategies with my own irrational bidding strategy 😂

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    If you're more interested in winning...

    What people are looking for in an auction is a way to bid that eliminates the possibility of anybody else to respond to their bid.

  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @MasonG said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    If you're more interested in winning...

    What people are looking for in an auction is a way to bid that eliminates the possibility of anybody else to respond to their bid.

    I think they call that a Buy It Now. Lol

    And people wonder why sellers don't run auctions. It's a mystery.

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2026 7:07PM

    @Walkerfan said:
    This will put an end to sniping, which is probably a good thing.

    But it will be like sitting with players at the blackjack poker (<edit) table who don't know the difference between a full house and a straight.

  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

    @mr1931S said:

    @Walkerfan said:
    This will put an end to sniping, which is probably a good thing.

    But it will be like sitting with players at the blackjack table who don't know the difference between a full house and a straight.

    Why would a blackjack player need to know the difference between a full house and straight as the hands do not come into play in blackjack?

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @slider23 said:

    @mr1931S said:

    @Walkerfan said:
    This will put an end to sniping, which is probably a good thing.

    But it will be like sitting with players at the blackjack poker table who don't know the difference between a full house and a straight.

    Why would a blackjack player need to know the difference between a full house and straight as the hands do not come into play in blackjack?

    good catch

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @MasonG said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    If you're more interested in winning...

    What people are looking for in an auction is a way to bid that eliminates the possibility of anybody else to respond to their bid.

    I think they call that a Buy It Now. Lol

    .....with the Best Offer option. :D

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I won a coin recently in last minute but bidder put rather high bid on it before. My nuk bid beat his however.

    Investor
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One of the gun auction sites I frequent has a 15-minute rule. I've seen some auctions go on for hours later than originally scheduled and the prices have doubled by the end of the auction.

    Trade $'s
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TennesseeDave said:
    One of the gun auction sites I frequent has a 15-minute rule. I've seen some auctions go on for hours later than originally scheduled and the prices have doubled by the end of the auction.

    gunbroker.com

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @MasonG said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    If you're more interested in winning...

    What people are looking for in an auction is a way to bid that eliminates the possibility of anybody else to respond to their bid.

    I think they call that a Buy It Now. Lol

    .....with the Best Offer option. :D

    I've found "Best Offer" to be kind of a farce.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mr1931S said:

    @PerryHall said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @MasonG said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    If you're more interested in winning...

    What people are looking for in an auction is a way to bid that eliminates the possibility of anybody else to respond to their bid.

    I think they call that a Buy It Now. Lol

    .....with the Best Offer option. :D

    I've found "Best Offer" to be kind of a farce.

    It doesn't always work but I've made many purchases using the Best Buy option.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I didn't used to include "Best Offer" in my listings, but I'd still get messages with offers. Ok then. If I'm going to respond to the messages, I might as well include "Best Offer" on the listings and be done with it.

  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 4:38PM

    For decades I have enjoyed my fleabay long rifle.
    Maybe I win 65% of time.

    Crap, maybe a point or two more ?

    Now my big bid can be made smaller caliber pulls and I get several tiny $ shots at the target if I am around to play live.

    Multiple shots to spend less, I see I can actually spend less but I must be present to shoot at target more in person.

    No more psyco bids to get nibbled on.

    I can fire off a bid every 50-55 seconds if needed, but it will be minimum to reset the clock until it makes no sense.

    Takes me 3 seconds to bid. I can run mutliple screens, I can improve.

    I can get what I want for less coin & hit target multiple times, two thumbs up !

    Happy Shopping !

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 4:46PM

    @Mr Lindy wrote:
    I can get what I want for less coin & hit target multiple times, two thumbs up !
    Happy Shopping !

    Sounds like ebay is working out for you by making a carnival-like game out of it.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:
    I didn't used to include "Best Offer" in my listings, but I'd still get messages with offers. Ok then. If I'm going to respond to the messages, I might as well include "Best Offer" on the listings and be done with it.

    If you don't like their offer, you can send them a counteroffer. It's just another eBay tool to help you sell your coins.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @MasonG said:
    I didn't used to include "Best Offer" in my listings, but I'd still get messages with offers. Ok then. If I'm going to respond to the messages, I might as well include "Best Offer" on the listings and be done with it.

    If you don't like their offer, you can send them a counteroffer. It's just another eBay tool to help you sell your coins.

    Yeah, I get it. I was just going with the idea of pricing stuff at where I wanted to sell it so I didn't have to deal with offers. But people want to feel like they're getting a deal, so I raised the prices a little and then accepted offers at the old price.

    On the plus side half my sales are at the listed price, so I'm getting more than I would have otherwise. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file