Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a 1921 Proof Double Eagle from the Pittsburgh ANA thread

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, credit goes to @SilverDaddy for the pics i borrowed from the 1933 DE thread
https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/14146357/#Comment_14146357


first, is there an approximate value here?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe that this was the most recent public sale of the coin (in a different holder) for slightly over $2 million in August of 2021.

    https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-saint-gaudens-double-eagles/1921-20-pr64-ngc-cac-jd-1-r8-as-a-proof/a/1333-3499.s

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2026 3:36PM

    See the comments in this thread, especially Roger W. Burdette's comment about the Baker piece, and his correction at the end of the old part.

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/532770/auction-mania-a-staggering-sale-of-a-1921-saint-this-could-get-very-interesting#latest

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As I just posted to the old thread:
    “It was fun to revisit this thread. And a large part of the reason is that I knew who bought the coin, and was able to view it in hand, shortly after it was removed from its holder. It took me only seconds to come to come to the belief that I was looking at a Satin Proof. And I was surprised that it took a long time to be recognized as such.”

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That coin lives rent free in my head. I remember Brian telling me about it the first or second time I met him.

    Custom album maker and numismatic photographer.
    Need a personalized album made? Design it on the website below and I'll build it for you.
    https://www.donahuenumismatics.com/.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file