Home› U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Old Style PMG holder or Fake?

This alleged PMG 67 has

  • Not stated Motto/No Motto just 1935G
  • No EPQ, I thought all 67s were EPQs
  • and No Cert number on the back.
  • Is this real and just an artifact of very old holder or is this fake?
    Thank you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/398133857000


Comments

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Why would someone fake that, a note worth less than $100?

  • Options
    ChoppyChoppy Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

    Very odd. With no certification number, how are we supposed to verify its authenticity at PMG?

    I suppose it's possible that someone erased the cert from the photo using Photoshop, but... why? I would not buy a note without being able to look it up.

  • Options
    ChoppyChoppy Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

    I have a Series 1935G $1 Silver Certificate, FR#1617, graded by PMG. The top line of the label reads: "$1 1935G With Motto Silver Certificate". I assume that FR#1616 says "No Motto". Seems unlikely that PMG would leave that off some holders.

  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

    Odd for sure. Every genuine PMG Holder has a certification number. In my opinion, if you have to question something then it's not right!

    🇺🇸 Harlequin
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
    Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins

  • Options
    berylberyl Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

    Looks like a legitimate old style PMG holder - when they used to have just a single long alpha-numeric identifier. As i recall
    the first seven digits were equivalent to the certification number - but for some reason I can't get PMG website to confirm this for my notes right now. Would check PMG website later but it seems quite usual to me

  • Options
    TxCollectorTxCollector Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    Can someone show an image of a fake PMG holder? I’ve never seen one in hand or even online and it would be good for a reference.

  • Options
    TxCollectorTxCollector Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭

    @TxCollector said:
    Can someone show an image of a fake PMG holder? I’ve never seen one in hand or even online and it would be good for a reference.

    In particular, one with a US note…

  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

    They used to give out sample pmg notes

Sign In or Register to comment.