Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this trade Dollar real?

VetterVetter Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no knowledge about Trade Dollars, only that there are a bunch of counterfeits. I was offered this one for a little under melt but I’m a bit skeptical. Between the damage and the cleaning, I’m wondering if it was put there to hide something. It weighs 26.87 grams which should be okay with the amount of wear.
Good or bad in your eyes? Thanks!

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No clue on authenticity. Was it used as a jewelry piece?

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2026 5:30PM

    Looks legit to me. Weigh it if you can...

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Significant abuse… and I’ll leave it at that

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    DesertCoinDesertCoin Posts: 484 ✭✭✭

    Look real. Hard to say.

    “Land of the free because of the brave”
    “Saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone”
    In Deo solo confidimus
    ΙΧΘΥΣ
    ΙϹ ΧϹ ΝΙΚΑ (ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΝΙΚΑ)


    Member since 2026
    Successful BST transactions with: Ted 1, JWP, bigjpst, Vetter, nickelsciolist, ajaan, USMarine6, ad4400, grote15, coinbuf, Gothat3rs, No Headlights, PROMETHIUS88, Harlequin, Coin Finder, Coins3675, CKcollectibles2
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Steel wool cleaned. Check the weight…looks real

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beat up yes and would hand onto it

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2026 8:58AM

    Appears real but really been thru it (circulation hits) ,
    Etc.

    Investor
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ambro51 said:
    Steel wool cleaned. Check the weight…looks real

    I concur with this. Also calculate the density if you can.

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2026 9:02AM

    I bet somebody bids it up, puts it on their money clip that has lots of Ben’s. I need to get a money clip….

    Investor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file