Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please help identifying this quarter.

I received this quarter in change and can’t find any info on what the error is. Does it have any value?
Front looks normal but the back is struct much deeper and the side doesn’t have any ridges but shows copper and cladding.

Comments

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2026 11:10AM

    Damaged. It's been spooned.

    edited... From an internet search:

    What techniques are used to create spooned coins?
    Spooned coins are created by intentionally hammering or pressing the edge of a coin with a hard object, such as the back of a spoon or specialized tools, to flatten and widen the rim over time. This process is often done to transform the coin into a ring-like shape.

  • Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like somebody tapped the rim with a hammer over and over, so not an error unfortunately. I've done it in my garage before. Some people do it to make jewelry, others just do it for fun.

    I collect world proof sets, coins featuring composers, mid-20th century U.S. proof coins, U.S. type coins, and whatever else I want.

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The edge has been tapped or rolled in to cause the lack of reeding and smooth wide edge. Definitely not a mint error and is damage that happened after it left the mint.

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think it's more likely that this was pressed into an encasement (If I had to guess, some sort of souvenir like a keychain) which flattened the edge. Same effect as "spooning" but produces a much smoother edge. Either way this is damage and it did not leave the Mint that way.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Spooned and just a spender

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    damaged

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

    Thanks to all for your help.

  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Or - a Dryer coin. ?

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file