Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CBH -- Who Are The Experts on Contemporary Counterfeits?

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 17, 2026 7:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Saturday, I picked up a collection of just run of the mill stuff that walked in the door. These were the last coins the guy pulled out of his "bag". The edges look right, the weight on all of them was right, or within a gram. I just didn't think they had the right look to them. I don't do a ton with CBH stuff unless it's graded and it's not like these walk in with every collection. I leaned toward them being contemporary counterfeits and then I dived into the research from Davignon. I'm trying to match the information but I just can't confirm if these are a match or am I just way off and they are indeed real. Can anyone here assist? I'm happy to post good pics of the front and back of each coin.

Thanks!
Tim

Comments

  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    They all look immediately good to me, meaning they are all US Mint products and not contemporary counterfeits.

    First thought when they came out was good. Then I began to question myself having 3 that had nearly identical color/wear. A couple sounded a little different sound "dropping" them on the counter.
    I'm glad to be wrong and can always use more education in areas I am weak.
    Thanks!

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see nothing wrong with them.

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They are authentic.

    Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

  • Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

    Those are all genuine

    Head coin nerd @ Rarity7

  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Authentic, as stated by experts above.
    Interestingly, a couple of them would be worth a bit more if they were contemporary counterfeits.

  • Options

    All genuine.

    I own numerous Davignon varieties, in addition to my bust half-dollar Federal issues.

    Official PCGS account of:

    www.TallahasseeCoinClub.com

  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

    They look fine to me at first glance, and I don't believe that counterfeit circ BH's are a big issue for the hobby.
    If you're able to attribute them, that should give you plenty of comfort.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file