Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

'71 Topps Pop Report Update

Three new additions to the '71 Topps Population Report since last Friday, according to my program... Are any of you the lucky one with the new PSA 8 Munson?

-------------

POP REPORT COMPARISON between 072602 and 072902

Summary for Total Set...
Total graded: 24854 vs 24857 CHANGE: +3
10: 7 vs 7
9 (NQ): 446 vs 446
9 (Q): 20 vs 20
8 (NQ): 12763 vs 12765 CHANGE: +2
8 (Q): 490 vs 490
7 (NQ): 8847 vs 8848 CHANGE: +1
7 (Q): 227 vs 227
6: 1439 vs 1439
5: 416 vs 416
3/4: 180 vs 180
1/2: 19 vs 19

Summary for card #5 (Thurman Munson)...
Total graded: 132 vs 133 CHANGE: +1
10: 0 vs 0
9 (NQ): 0 vs 0
9 (Q): 1 vs 1
8 (NQ): 20 vs 21 CHANGE: +1
8 (Q): 6 vs 6
7 (NQ): 55 vs 55
7 (Q): 4 vs 4
6: 28 vs 28
5: 10 vs 10
3/4: 2 vs 2
1/2: 3 vs 3

Summary for card #324 (Graig Nettles)...
Total graded: 25 vs 26 CHANGE: +1
9 (NQ): 0 vs 0
9 (Q): 0 vs 0
8 (NQ): 8 vs 9 CHANGE: +1
8 (Q): 1 vs 1
7 (NQ): 14 vs 14
7 (Q): 0 vs 0
6: 2 vs 2
5: 0 vs 0
3/4: 0 vs 0
1/2: 0 vs 0

Summary for card #574 (Jim Bunning)...
Total graded: 148 vs 149 CHANGE: +1
9 (NQ): 2 vs 2
9 (Q): 0 vs 0
8 (NQ): 103 vs 103
8 (Q): 0 vs 0
7 (NQ): 42 vs 43 CHANGE: +1
7 (Q): 0 vs 0
6: 1 vs 1
5: 0 vs 0
3/4: 0 vs 0
1/2: 0 vs 0

Comments

• Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

I have 91 1971 cards ready to go. They are some of the best I have seen. Sharp coeners good centering. I believe I will get quite a few 8's with rest bringing sevens. I have checked these over carefully and feel good about them. I have been disappointed in the past but this time I think I have got it right. Will let you know when I recieve they go today.

Stump
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    stump,

Good luck!

I'll look for a big bump on the pop report.

My program analyzes the report in about 20 seconds and gives the changes between the dates of the pop reports submitted to it.

Once I get enough data points I'll plot the progression of grades over time for the set as a whole and for the key cards.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Nice tool you've created jrinck.....congrats......

I submitted my first 71's to PSA (80 cards) a few weeks back and had my grades posted early last week.....I call the invoice the Sea of Sevens.......grader very tough on me.......I think I'll stick with 60's stuff
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Not just you Treetop, not just you.......................Welcome to the wonderful world of 71's, where 9's are 8's and 8's are 7's
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    I also have a wad of 1971 topps baseball to submit . These have been stored a very long time from packs. Waiting for the 70's special to return. Hope it's next month.
  • Options
    Thanks, treetop,

The biggest hurdle to writing this tool was in overcoming how the file is formatted once it's saved from the PSA web site. I save it in text format and it's pretty much unreadable. Very hard to make any generalizations as to what I might find formatting-wise.

But I got over that. Now it's just a push-button operation!
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    actually, when I compared my graded 71's to the population report, I got 8's on the ones everybody gets 8's on and 7's on the ones everybody gets 7's on..........So I feel like i fit right in with the masses on 71's

Zardoz51, I like the way you think.....do you mind if I quote you in my auctions for some of these 71's?.."according to Zardoz51, expert collector, these 7's are actually 8's and being held hostage in a PSA 7 holder".....what do you think?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    My Dick Drago that I thought was a surefire 9 (with a shot at a 10) came back an 8. Darn card still looks perfect. Uhh, 71's are tough.
  • Options
    Uniship,

Only one lucky soul has a 9 on that card. Even in 8, though, that's got to be a pricey card. The last card in the last series. Imagine if it were an SP!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have a few thousand real nice 1971's and I very rarely submit any. If I do, I think there 9's. I usually get back 8's. Occasionally I'll get a 9, but very rarely, and occasionally I get a 7, but like I said if 1% of the cards I submit are 1971's, and that may be high.
  • Options
    Treeptop

don't tell them it's a PSA 7, tell them it's a ZAG 10 !!!

That will clinch the sale! image
  • Options
    I never really looked at the '71 pop report before now, but there are appear to be same rare birds in this set:

#351, Jim Shellenback: Only 3 graded, but all 8.

#539, Larry Brown: Only 7 graded, no 8's.

Anybody here have one of the elusive Shellenbacks?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

Dont have the Shellenback but I got the Brown. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Stump
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Gaspipe - what would it take to pry away some of those ungraded '71s from you? I'd be very interested in buying a lot or two. I'm really just starting a set, so I'd be willing to take whatever you have a lot of, or would be willing to part with. purelypsa@aol.com. Thanks!
  • Options
    ....the Shellenback is like the L.Brown, is like the Gibbs ,...the Brewer,...the Carty,... the Pinson,...the Dalrymple, not to mention the Romo...they don't exist...unless Zardoz has been been toying with us along...Yea, that’s it, I bet at this moment he's flipping through card saver II like a deck of cards filled with such spiny thorns, laughing all the while…
  • Options
    Here's my Larry Brown...

1971 Topps Larry Brown #539 PSA 6

It's a 6, but probably due to the centering. The person who submitted it must have asked for no qualifiers,
    because this is a candidate for an easy 7 and possible 8 otherwise.

So my guess would be that the reason you don't see any 8's are due to centering. This card must have
    resided in one of the corners on the uncut sheet, I'm guessing upper-right.

Not a bad deal for $3.00, but when I'm rich I'll look for better.
  • Options
    kmas

I use cardsaver 1's

Pinson, Roger Reed, Orioles Rookies, and Romo...the real rarities of the set.

As for Romo, our friend Steve P. seems to have managed to latch on to an 8. I have yet to see that card decently centered, let alone submittable condition-wise.

I must admit to having one or two cards stacked awaiting submission

As for this ponting the finger at me for being a hoarder, I'd sure like to go through your "reject and pending" piles. LOL
  • Options
    I'm not sure who Steve P is....but I have a 1971 Romo PSA 8 in a current auction. The only other one was in the #1 All-time set.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    All 1971 Topps collectors: I just sent in 300 cards from the 1971 Topps set at the Nationals. I will have them back by Sept. 3. All of the cards came from vending so I should have some really great results. Send me your list or email me and I will send you the results.

Leo/1954
    shaneleo@aol.com

Anyone out there have any cards for me? 1934 Batter ups, 1954 Wilson, 1971 Topps greatest moments
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    John,

Looks like you're going to have you hands full in analyzing the 71s during the next few weeks as I have quite a few in there myself. As a 71 collector, I've really enjoyed your posts. Keep it up!

The Linzy has always been a tough card for me to find...and the Pinson.

I did find a "8able" Brown at the Nats as well as a couple of Romos and a Brewer. You never know on grades though...

Steve P.
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice words.

Somebody out there is a happy camper, the first Dock Ellis 9 has just been graded!

All in all, 15 9s out of 81 new grades in just the past two days!

Must be that guy who BMW dealt with who said he "had a friend"!