Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Breakdown: 1958 Topps

Well, here's the first installment of the vintage section of my site. Hopefully all the '58 collectors won't find too many errors image It has a little history of the set plus a *complete* checklist... one with all the variations. Let me know what yall think.

Set Breakdown: 1958 Topps
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    This is exactly the type of thing that we need to make the registry even better. If we could get a person from each of the various sets to build a master list...it would enhance the cause. I am willing to take a stab at 1967.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Nicely done.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Great information. I think a break down of each set from a very knowledgable individual would help all of us with our future consideration of sets. Thank you for taking your time with this.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    qmayerqmayer Posts: 286
    Thanks for all the compliments. The guy who's helping me on this, his focus right now is the 1950s and older. The next one is 1956 Topps. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Am I leaving some important information out?

Justin
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    From a collector who has the only 1958 100% completed set (albeit without the Herrera error card), you have done a fantastic job on the description of it. The omitted card history was one thing I didn't know about the set. Thanks & keep up the good work!

Regards
    Willie
  • Options
    You don't really get into anything about the set that isn't already written about it in the Beckett and SCD guides. You need the basic information like you list, but you have the "space" to get into more detail where the guides are not able to. A lot of people are confused about variations, particulary with this set and it's Yellows. Have some pictures, side by side of where the Yellow has to be for a Team or Name variation. More pictures of cards from the set, including a picture of the back of one. List more Stars and Rookies the set contains, and have their name linked to a picture of the card. Mention some cool cards like the Combos or All-Stars, with a picture. Basically, you can pick up where the guides left off, and explain and show people what the guides just casually mention or list. Think about what questions you would have regarding the set after you've read their descriptions, and write about that.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Nice job, perhaps Cardbuzz will be a nice additional site for vintage !!

Regarding the 58 set, I believe the first series 1 through 110 is the "scarce" series similar to the high numbers in most Topps' sets which were issued by series ending in 1973 for vintage. I've heard Topps felt the variations may be problems so rather than spend too much time trying to "correct" them , just end that run and start printing the next series which thereafter were printed in a slightly larger quantity than the first.

The triple printing of some all-star cards was caused by a replacement of four cards in the final series print run. Thus numbers 443, 446 (Carroll Hardy, already famous for being the ony person ever to pinch hit for Ted Williams I think), 450, and 462 are true short-prints.

Vintage cards' errors, variations, short-prints, etc., are much more enjoyable than most modern inserts. image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Great work, I appreciate the effort. As my icon attests, I am a big admirer of this set. Bouchee's card was pulled because he was accused of rape. He was found innocent and played 89 games in 1958. He returned to the Topps set in 1959.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!