Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Pedigree question

What are the requirements for pedigree? I know the set has to be in the top five (is that all time or current?). I assume the series has to be out of production. Is that true? And how long does it have to be out of production. Do modern Washington quarters or SBA's qualify? Also, what, exactly, do you pedigree? An entire series or the contents of a registry set? That is, do you pedigree an entire Washington quarter series (as an example), or are the early and late halves pedigreed separately? If they're done separately, then I assume you can pedigree, for example, early Jefferson nickels, even though the sereies is still in production. Right?? Or can you pick any registry series that fits (ie with or without varieties, short series, etc.)?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Top 5 current...
    Call PCGS for details of what sets are eligible... last I check, the 1950 to present type sets were not
    You pedigree the coins that make up your top 5 current set
    One time good deal... as you add coins, you don't get free pedigree re-holder. You can add pedigree at $5/coin (+ S/H/I) for new coins placed in your set while it remains in the top 5.

Hope this helps...
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I also have a question. If you upgrade a pedigreed coin, does the old one get to retain the pedigree when it is added to the new coin?
    Matt
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Flash,
    I don't see how it wouldn't.... It's your property--don't send it back for re-holder.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Let me rephrase my question. Say, for instance, I have a 1917 Ty1 SLQ graded MS63FH. PCGS pedigrees my set and the coin is reholdered with the pedigree on the label. I then upgrade the coin to a MS65FH. I send my new coin in for reholder so it shows the pedigree. Do I have to send in the MS63FH coin and have it reholdered without the pedigree on the label? Or do I get to keep both coins showing the pedigree on the label, even though one is no longer part of the registry set?
    Matt
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is "your" peidgree, not someone elses. With the exception of a very, very few names, I would think a pedigree would reduce the value of a coin (I cannot think of a current set that I would not pay less with their name as I would have to have it removed). I am pretty sure you can send in any set and have it pedigreed (you are paying for it, and PCGS is all about money). In the top five, they will pedigree for free (big bonus, especially on larger sets).

With the peidgree all the do is put a new label in the holder with additional text.

We sent in the set of Morgans that Wayne Miller used in his textbook for the toning chapter. They came back with the pedigree of being Wayne Miller plate coins. (you pay, you get for the most part, I am sure braddick could pedigree a set of PR01 - FR02 coins)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also have a question. If you upgrade a pedigreed coin, does the old one get to retain the pedigree when it is added to the new coin? >>

PCGS isn't going to take it off for free!
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • In line with dbldie55's comment:

Why would a pedigree'd coin be worth less?

My thinking is this, and of course I may be wrong: If it is pedigree'd then it was once in one of the top 5 registered sets of its kind. That's kind of cool, isn't it?

I don't know, I would like to one day (when I'm rich image have a pedigree'd set but I wouldn't want to negate some of the coin value in doing so image
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    barrytrot, yor logic is good, however, a pedigree within the PCGS set registry today, for the most part, is meaningless to most collectors. I agree that there is literly NO premium value placed on a "no name" collectors pedigree, and probably it does reduce the value of the coin. The bottom line on this pedigree label thing is: If it is your set you are pedigreeing, and you plan on keeping it intact for many years, go ahead. It will probably make YOU happy. But do not expect anyone else to feel the same way. I know I would not want my collection showing any coins with someone elses name on them. Steveimage
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    As for as updating coins in a set that you have pedigreed, it does cost $5 per coin to have additional coins pedigreed but the set need not remain in the top five.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also disagree that a pedigree would reduce value. I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder. I would not pay a big premium for a pedigree, but on the other hand I do not believe that a pedigreed coin is worth less. That is ridiculous- in a way, it is the negative version of "buying the holder instead of the coin", to use a cliche.

Now, if the pedigree were engraved on the coin itself, then I suppose it might reduce the value. (Like the "D" on the Dexter 1804 dollar). image

BTW, though I did not pay any extra premium for the Benson pedigree on the Barber half in my icon (1898 PCGS PR63 CAM), it certainly doesn't bother me. The coin has a history that goes way back. Thanks to the pedigree I know, for example, that the coin sold for $8 in 1944. Kind of interesting, if you ask me...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.