Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 TOPPS SUPER

I just completed my 1969 Topps Super set by acquiring card #1 Dave McNally psa 9. This will give me a set rating of 8.81 and a ranking of 5th. Where else would you see a set from the 1960s or earlier require a set rating of 8.70 just to get in the top 5? Its certainly possble here that Bob Earhart who has the top rated set could achieve a 10.0 before too long.

Comments

• Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

Congradulations on the completion of the 69 Topps Super. Way to hang to the end. Look behind you I am coming in the 68 Topps set with over 70 percent complete and 6 percent on the way. Good luck withn your future sets the supers are dandies.

Stump (Dave Jacobs)
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Stump,

Hmmm, you my pass me, but.....I have 300 ready for submission at the next Ft. Washington so hopefully those will give me a few more 9s and plug some holes.
  • Options
    Stump ,

I think you have barked up the wrong tree!

BOB
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

Bob

You are probably right I should have just kept sneaking up on everyone. But I am ok with giving someone motivation. I think its the best when somebody finishes any psa set. They are all challenges in their own way. Thanks for the advice.

Stump
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    McNally is a tough card in psa 9.
    I encourage all quality dealers to actively call me on cards that I need on sets they hae registered.
    I hve used Sports Card Plus for many years and consider them a quality operation.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Davalillo-

Bob Earhart does have an amazing 1969 Topps Supers set. I feel fortunate to say that I sold him two or three dozen PSA 9's and 10's a few years ago (some 9s that he has since upgraded).

I think that the set will be very hard to complete in PSA 10 -- though it will one day be possible. The Willie Mays card has an extremely annoying tumbleweed cloud that affects 90% of the examples I have seen, in varying degrees of cloudiness. There are four or five other cards that are very tough to find in high-grade 9, not to mention PSA 10.

I am rooting for Bob every step of the way -- and I hope that some of the cards that do not exist in 10 become available at that some of the 1/1 PSA 10's either make their way to the market or get a few more graded examples. I have seen three high-grade raw sets in auctions/private sale in the past 12 months -- and I hope that some of those yield some nice 10's. (though it becomes a big gamble when they go for $6 to 9,000 raw).

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.