Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I won! I Won! My first 1956 PSA 8 Topps Card

image The bidding was intense, I have the beads of sweat on my forehead to prove it!image

After much deliberation, I've decided to embark on a never ending journey that is the 1956 Topps set. With my limited income and the expense of the set, I am in for a long haul. I didn't realize how competitive this set would be until tonight. Most cards (commons) in PSA 8 went above SMR.image

My first, Im like a proud papa!

The same card went for 61.02 in an auction that ended a few minutes earlier. image With a pop of 80+ in PSA 8 I was surprised at the auction prices.

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    49er - Congratulations, '56 is a great set. Keep up the good work...jay
  • Options
    Congratulations. image

A nice set to collect!

paul
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    49erfaithful,

Congrats. Building a set on a limited budget is certainly a challenge, but it also makes every single card obtained a great success.

Best of luck,

Brian

PS
    That is one damn fine card, btw...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Congratulation on your purchase. I am trying to build 2 sets on a limited budget and know the pleasure of finding a bargin.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    2 words that will haunt you as long as you build the set... LOW POPULATION. There are a number of things that just aren't meant to go together. Like Republicans & Democrats, Cats and Dogs, and PSA 8 Vintage and limited budget.

That being said...give em hell! It is a magnificent set with quite a few quirky things like team cards with 3 different versions (team name dated, centered, and to the left) , cards with both white and grey backs, etc. Plus, Topps finally was able to get Bowman out of the way so all the superstars are in the set (unlike previous years where some of the superstars had exclusives with one company or the other). This set and the 1963's are my two favorites.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927

Congradulations on your first purchase keep taking the steps and sooner than later you will get to the end. Well done!

Stump
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Congrats! Great to see your positive excitement and like others, I think the '56 set is great.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    49er, I applaud your choice and your first "win".

I just completed my '56 graded set about a month ago after 2+ years (need to upgrade 10 more PSA 7's). Luckily I started with the best cards from my childhood set. I sent about 200 in to PSA in 3 or 4 lots. About 60% came back PSA 8's, with a bonus of 3 PSA 9's; the rest -- 35% PSA 7's, and a hand ful of 6's and 5's, were upgraded later.

I also got a very large lot of NM/MT raw, PSA 8's, SGC 88's and 92's from another collector who had 2 sets, and was selling off the second.

The balance came from shows and ebay.

If your funds will allow, try to go after the high-pop commons and stars first. You can find bargains here, especially with the stars which are selling below SMR due to the depressed stock market climate and limited disposable income available.

Good luck !!

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    Thank you for helping me with mine. I'm at 72% or so in PSA-7.

It used to be very easy to so this set in 7. I was paying 60-75% for commons and stars, but now I think you'd be lucky to find anything for 100% of SMR.

I don't even want to think about 8's.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I picked up another last night. This time I waited and sniped it, from the same guy I outbid on the first one!! Got a good deal too, $40 shipped, that's $8 under SMR. I'm such the bargain hunter. I'll save my money now, until the Tri-star show in San Francisco over Labor day weekend.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    1956 PSA-8
    49er - Here's one that I listed, ends in 6 days. If you win it, I'll eat the shipping & insurance charge ($2.95).
    Every little bit helps...jay
  • Options
    Thanks Jay, I had already added you to my favorite sellers list. I'll watch it, the card has a pop of 46 in PSA 8. I'm not to worried about "sosamvp", he's also bidding on the FGA graded cards. Talk about junk.

I can't wait to pick up the Don Mossi card, they just don't grow ears like that anymore.

Thanks again, Robert