Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA & BVG comparison - side by side

Take a look at this auction:

Pete Rose 1965

He has a BVG 5.5 Rose and a PSA 5 Rose. Which one do you think looks better. Putting the color difference aside (probably the holders) I think the PSA one looks better. But the Beckett received the higher grade.
Zach

Comments

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    The cards are similar, except for the corners which are nicer on the PSA card. I'm not surprised, since Beckett Vintage has gotten a reputation as being a bit soft on grading. Then again, scans are not good for detecting small creases or wrinkles, and who knows what the backs look like [? stains, o/c etc.]
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    A half grade isn't really a "higher grade" as PSA has no half grade cards.

• << <i>A half grade isn't really a "higher grade" as PSA has no half grade cards. >>

True, but the BVG still looks like it should receive a lower grade than the PSA.

Zach
    Zach
  • brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    It's impossible to tell anything from this. EX is a very wide grade, and cards grade EX can have defects that are difficult to detect on a scan. The PSA card could be NM with a wrinkle on the back for all we know.

The PSA card is whiter, but that might not mean *anything*.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    While it is true that we will need to look at the cards themselves to make an accurate accessment, I would, from the scans, go with the PSA card.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well -- BVG does admit to grading on a sliding scale (e.g., "the card is older, so it will automatically get a higher grade based on that fact alone), and Beckett and PSA have never claimed in practice or in reality to have the same grading standards. They are similar in many ways -- but there are big discrepancies, too.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    Who KNOWS what they do. I seriously doubt they grade on a curve, although by the time it comes out of some PR person's mouth, that might be what they say.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com