Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Doubling on Merc opinions please

This is an area in which I do not take interest in and thought you all may be of assistance. I have had a green label MS64FB 1945s Merc for quite some time and just noticed that it has some strike doubling. The surfaces are pretty clean for a 64 and I believe the "mushy" strike has dragged it down.

The date is very distinctly doubled and with a 10x loupe you can see approximately 30% overlap maybe more. Doubling can also be seen in many of the letters in "Liberty".

I know some people collect "errors" and coins that have doubling. Can anyone tell me what affect to the value if any, the doubling on this coin has? The scan is not so great but I think you can best see the 9 and the 5 doubled. All numbers are very clearly doubled on the coin.

Thanks for the input!

TC
TC

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

TC,

From what I can see from the scan you have what is called strike doubling or machine doubling. There is not any premium placed on such coins. I am personally trying to put a set together with machine doubled dates, but not in the high grade yours is in. If you have coins where the date is repunched from the die, then there is a premium. Like the 31-D. There is a book on Mercury Dimes by David Lang that has pictures showing the difference between repunched date and machine doubling. Hope this has helped some.

Jon
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    TC,

I personally do not collect coins with strike doubling and do not know of any premium associated with such coins.

FYI, here are a couple of examples of doubled dies that carry a premium. The 42/1 P and D overdates, and the 1936. I'm sure there are more.

Happy hunting!
    Dan
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

TC,

The 42/1 overdates are NOT machine doubling. They were struck with dies with repunching in the date and carry a very big premium as everyone knows. And like DAM said there are other lesser known repunched dates such as the 36 31-D 29-S and others.

Jon
  • Options
    Jon

Thank you for your comments in reference to the doubling. Please forgive my ignorance but I have not researched this area for lack of interest. I think what you are saying is that machine doubling occurs in the stamping process and repunched is a remaking of the die as in the 42/1 overdate? Is this correct?

You also mention you are assembling a set of machine doubling but not this high grade. Are you assembling a set of circs? I may have 1 or 2 and will keep my eyes open if you want to clarify.

Thanks
    Tony
    TC
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    The 42/1 overdates are NOT machine doubling.

Jon,

After I reread my reply I see where it sounds like I meant to say the 42 overdates exhibited strike doubling. Just the opposite. Thanks for pointing it out that they are in fact, doubled dies. I'm going to edit the reply to clairfy my point.

In the future I guess I better proof read my replies better. image

About 35 or so years ago my uncle found a 42 overdate in change he got from a cigarette machine. I never had a chance to see it. He sold it. What a neat find though!

DAM
    Dan