Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the Lincoln cent variety set a joke?

As I am only new to these message boards could someone explain why only 4 varieties are in this set? Even the old set with the "below the line varieties" that didn't count toward the overall set rating seemed more real than what is currently available. And no less, some of the more expensive coins to acquire! No wonder there is such poor activity. Are there plans to add to it in the short term?

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Short answer...yes it is a joke. I notice that you must have already read the previous thread on Lincoln varieties. I think that Stewart Blay put together a fine list of which varieties should be included in that thread.

As for myself, I don't feel that I am the right person to be commenting on what should or shouldn't be included in the set as I usually only collect basic sets. The only way that more varieties will be included in the registry or added to what PCGS will recognize is for collectors to lobby PCGS directly. They are not usually very proactive on recognizing varieties; they have yet to desinate the 7 1982 varieties or the recent type 2 reverse varieties, which I think would really help the Memorial set.

BTW, welcome to the boards, LS. Do you have a Lincoln set registered (maybe the OnRutton Lincolns)?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    No, I'm not OnRutton. I just collect lincoln double dies. I've been collecting them for about 5 years now. I might start to collect cuds in the near term as well. The registry seems pretty expensive by most standards.