Home PSA Set Registry Forum

I just upgraded one of my Wilson Franks!!! Thanks

I am so excited as I just picked up a PSA 7 Roy McMillian from Brian Drent, Mile High Card Company. Guys I know this sounds like a small deal, however I have not been able to buy anything from this set for three months. I will try to attach a scan of my lower graded card just for grins. The pocket book hurts a little from this purchase, however it was well worth it. Thanks again Brian.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Shane:

Did you get any of the Wilson Franks that were on Teletrade?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • *Keeps His Mouth Shut About Wilson Franks*

Ian
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I bought three of those that went through "twice".???//?/?
    Something was wierd on that deal, and I don't feel comfortable dealing with some of these auction houses. However I did pick up a PSA 7 Ennis, a Richards PSA 6, and a Jablonski PSA 7mc. I paid around $2000 for all of them. I just bought the PSA 7 McMillian from Brian Drent for $650. I definately am over paying on these, however I am really wanting to finish this in the best grade possible.
    Thanks to Ian for not having a Weinie joke.

Also, guys Brian Drent is one of the best dealers to do business with. All of my transactions have been so pleasant. A great guy to know.

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    My kudos to Brian as well. I have bought from him in the past and he is a great guy to deal with. He also personally vouched for me to Craig Roehrig when I first met Craig at the Hollywood Park show and offered to buy some PSA 9's from him. I only was carrying plastic and couldn't pay for them until I got back home to send him a money order. Brian assured Craig that my word and money were good and Craig held them for me until the money arrived. Thanks to that, Craig was later able to help me with about 50 or so PSA 8's for my set as well as at least half a dozen PSA 9's.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1954 - based on the price the Hodges drew in the recent auction, why do you think you're overpaying?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    One auction for one Wilson Franks card does not a "true price" make.

The final hammer price was nearly 20 times the initial bid -- suffice it to say that the final hammer price was a surprise to everyone. And you never know who was driving that price up. For example, if the third bidder was only in for $3,000, then there is a hugely different picture on the card's true value. For what it's worth, Lawrence Block has one of the three PSA 8's. Was it from this auction (as he is a huge Hodges fan?), Was it a set collector? Was Block just bidding up the price to reaffirm the value on what he already has?

The possibilities are endless -- but at the end of the day, there is no sane person that would judge the value of a Hodges PSA 8 at $11,000 -- until there are either a) more Hodges sold showing the same prices/multiples or b) other '54 Franks in PSA 8 selling for similar/comparable prices.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mike - even if the 3rd bidder was only willing to go to $3K, that still doesn't make $700 or so for a PSA 7 of a common player out of line. This is such a difficult set to complete in high grade that player value takes lesser status and condition becomes the priority.
    Also, when some of the low population 1954 Topps cards (such as Ben Wade) go regularly for in excess of $100 when offered on eBay in PSA 7, that gives some reasonableness to the prices that 1954 was paying on this set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Nick,
    The Hodges went for far more than I expected. I thought I was really being agressive when I bid $4500 on the card. In this set a PSA 8 is a very rare species and it should command a premium. I would definately take any card that would benefit my set, however I don't want to over pay on all of them. I think SMR is way off on this set. They need to be adjusted, but please hold off until I get the PSA 8 Hodges.