Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Opinions and poll on MS68 Walkers for sale in New York by Heritage

cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
While browsing some of these coins I couldn't help but think about market grading of coins and wondered if anyone had similar thoughts? The coin of course has tremendous eye appeal yet has more contact marks than I would expect on a MS68 coin. If I sent in a coin like this, I'm sure it would come back MS66 or maybe a 67 image This would be a prime time to sell coins like while this is the time the 1933 Saint is on display and for sale in New York. Would someone invest in a coin like this because of the holder? Could a person want a coin like this to put in a registry set for the grade points? Your thought and ideas?

I'll try a link...Sometimes
Heritage links do not always work for some so it's a 1934 MS68 Walker.

Here is the poll question:

If you had the spare money. What would the closest reason you would spring for this coin?

Ken

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1934 your LINK provided sure looks full MS68 to me.

peacockcoins

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i would buy this coin ONLY if i could flip it the same day at a show

sincerely michael
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    This is the type of coin that if I sent it in PCGS would grade it AU58. image

While the coin is mark free, I don't like the strike. I'd like a better strike for an MS68 or even an MS67. The reverse eagle looks poor.

The coin also needs a dip.

I'd wouldn't want that coin in my collection even if it were in an MS66 slab.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the PCGS MS-68 1940 walker I bought so you can compare.

obverse

closer look of obverse

Reverse

I have some other pics if you need more help. I had trouble getting a real good camera shot of the obverse.

Quite frankly all of these MS-68 are close calls between 67 and 68 and you need to see it in person to see if it "grows"on you or turns you off. I argued about this coin right here some months ago and was almost ready to send it back but decided to keep it.

The 1940 had an ok eye appeal obverse but it was technically perfect without a flaw and the reverse while not flawless was a dazzling display of what a walker could look like. A strange way to come up with a 68 grade? Also note that this is in an older PCGS holder.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I don't like the mark on the hand.

Greg
  • That's a $10,000+ coin and it looks correctly graded!
    Say no to ACG!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    "yet has more contact marks than I would expect on a MS68 coin"

I don't see any contact marks, the scan doesn't appear to be good enough to show that type of detail (the marks you see may be on the slab).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Cointime, orville's half dollar is a true ms68!!

Monster!!
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The contact marks I was talking about show on Miss Liberty's leg and the Eagle's leg plus 1 hit in the upper neck and 1 in the lower neck. To see a larger photo click on the picture again once you click on my link.

Steve, Yes. Oreville has a real nice half. Pretty!

Greg, Good eye. I missed the small mark on the hand.

Ken
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, I think the walker series is the most beautiful coin I have seen to date. The price is what keeps me from collecting them. I would LOVE to have one high grade example for my collection, but until my Lincoln collection is back on track I will have to put the Walkers aside.

I'm no expert in this series, however, I think the scuff marks on her forleg would stop this coin from being a MS68, also the carbon marks are disturbing.

This is my opinion and my eye appeal remarks.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I will attempt to return the generosity that you have extended to me in the near future.

Friend and fellow collector,
    Ray
    mrpaseo: I beg to differ on the affordability of the walker series. In my opinion, walkers that are oozing with that creamy or brilliant luster but yet are softly struck (usually MS-64 or 65 grades) retain almost all of the magnificence of the better struck walkers and quite often such luster is far nicer on the softer struck MS-64 walker than the high mint state MS-66/67/68 graded counterparts. In the softer struck walker, you even get to choose between the creamy white (frosty) luster or the brilliant luster. In the higher sharper struck walker it is rare to find a frosty/creamy luster.

There is nothing wrong with a magnificent softer struck MS-64 walker. The design is so good that even a softly struck coin retains all of the essence of the design. A nice evenly matched set of lustrous MS-64 (even MS-63) can be very affordable and pleases the eyes of even the most finicky walker collector.

Here is an example of a lovely MS-64 owned by a type collector and is in a ANACS holder. The coin is drop dead gorgeous.

1947 ANACS MS-64 50c
  • It is fun to be so picky! But really, one must be very picky when spending a few grand. I would much rather haver Oreville's Walker for a MS 68 price. But I'd rather have a PR one.
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Oreville's half is awesome! It has a nice strike and virtually free of distracting marks. The only thing I don't like, however, are those marks in the field, right of Lady Liberty.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

Ah, now I see what you're referring to, there are a lot of small marks on liberty's dress and on the rim, but it still may be a 68 based their small size.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    Here is another picture. Yes the small marks are little areas where the golden toning had started. It looks darker in the previous photo. amazing how photos can sometimes pick up things we can't see or hide things we CAN see.

Another obverse photo of 1940 walker

As I stated previous, I agree that the obverse does not have that exceptional eye appeal and in fact is only modestly better than average in eye appeal certainly not worthy of an MS-68 grade. Yet even under 10x scope, I can't find a single bag/tick mark or any other imperfection.

It is the weighing of all these factors plus the pros and cons of the reverse that makes grading of these coins more difficult than it first appears.

Personally, I believe it is only a marginal 68 grade at best but there are precious few of these that are better within the 68 scale.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    gmarguli,

Why would anyone want to dip a pretty, original looking coin like that??? Please tell me you weren't serious.

Dragon
  • If that is part of th Ally collection you can pm Joshua about his thoughts. I have found him to be very honest on his opinions of his coins
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    It has great eye appeal & is market graded.

• gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Why would anyone want to dip a pretty, original looking coin like that??? Please tell me you weren't serious.

I was 100% serious. That coin needs a dip. I don't like those darker toning spots on the obverse and the yellow smudges on the reverse. Maybe it looks better in person, but I'd prefer nicely toned or at least evenly toned or brilliant.
  • littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I have to concur with Greg. The eye appeal would be much better after a good dip. That toning is just a negative attribute.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • I couldn't agree more with Oreville about the difference between 67/68. The difference is so slight that many times it comes down to personal preference. It is also very difficult to assess the coin from pictures and not in person. Of the 5 68's in the sale my favorite is the 42-d. Some people might not like the toning but to me it is what sets the coin apart.
    Of all the Walkers, the ones that will always stand out to me are the 41-S (so close to perfection) and the 21-D. I know the 21-D is dark but check out the strike and the originality. It grows on you.
    And I think a dipping takes away the appeal of a coin.
    And finally, oreville your 68 would fit nicely in the collection.

Joshua
    Joshua: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't know how you do it selling this wonderful set. <p>
    I sold my wonderful medium walker set back in 1983 for strong money in a weak market back in 1983 with one of Bowers & Merena's auctions.

It broke my heart. Sure, the money was great but I didn't "need" it This was the time when coin grade inflation was really going all guns in which MS-67 was starting to become commonplace.

When I had the chance to buy 8 of Jack Lee's PCGS MS-68 walkers 5 years ago, I turned them down as they were not as "nice" as my walkers since I always believed in the perfect unblemished Liberty breasts and his walkers didn't have it. But I am sure I was still not ready to emotionally let go of my old set, even though it was 14 years later.

The only Jack Lee walker I ended up ever buying was his 1921-P in MS-66 which seems to be a real twin to yours.

I may pop in WESTNEX tomorrow but I have so much work to do and I was supposed to be away!!!!!!
  • If you can't see the difference between a 67 and a 68, then don't
    buy the plastic
    Say no to ACG!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • How can that 34 walker be a 68 with all the marks and dings especially on the eagle?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • It differs in different areas.
    "Care less, act more;
    Think less, whine more;
    Mean less, post more;
    Love less, irritate more;
    And all bad things are theirs."
    -Troll Proverb
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill,

I was wondering when someone was going to out right...get down and dirty. image Now I'm not sure I would agree that it needs a dip, cause I like the original looking luster (the eye appeal gotcha thingy).
    This is a nice coin, but I have to say it belongs in a 67 holder ! I'm not really surprised that the majority think it is ok for a 68 holder and this coin will probably sell well based on the attraction/ads everywhere (tv, coin magazines ect...) auctioning off the 1933 20$ Saint. in N.Y. I guess what I'm trying to say is "This will bring possibly many new and old collectors online to bid on coins that may not sell as well if offered at another time, so they could feel like they were apart of one of the greatest auction in resent times". Does this make sence to anyone else or do you think I reading more into this than I should? image The way stocks are doing may even cause investors to perk up and take notice. what do ya think?

Ken