Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Lots of New Material on the Market

I'm finding there is a lot more material on the market lately that falls into the grades/prices I am looking for... This is typically low MS to high AU 1800's type pieces. It seam several of my normal sources have many coins I'm interested in now. I've recently bought a nice 1818 Large Cent, 1859 Seated Dime, and 1853 Seated Half. For a while it seamed I would look and look without finding many nice coins.

Anyone noticing the same?
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Indication of a market peak?
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian,

I think it's just a lucky fluke that you're finding a lot that you're interested in. The same thing sometimes happens to me immediately after I've blown my monthly budget on coins. I'm broke, and suddenly coins that I've wanted for a long time begin appearing everywhere. It must be one of the corollaries to Murphy's Law. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    It all comes in cycles. Some times I'll be offered more coins than I could possibly afford in a lifetime and then I'll go 6 months without finding anything that suits me.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices have been rising in coins so we are seeing a glimpse of more supply available. But it seems that it is also getting all bunched up hoping to benefit from the summer NY show/ 1933 $20 auction hoopla, etc.

I suspect that supply will dry up again until the September auctions as the coin hobby has "deferred" summer until after NY ANA and 1933 $20 auction.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Many of the pieces in the various auctions only appear every few years, some as much as 15 years, so don't plan on seeing many of these coins around after they go into collections.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • eBay seems slow this week. I'm guessing everybody is gearing up for the big auctions this weekend. Or maybe they are on vacation.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Please let me know where you are finding these pieces as I'm looking for the very same coins. (Hint, hint BILLWLS, sell some of your lower end stuff to we poor collectors, pleaseimage)

Tom
    Tom

• keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Tom,

I've seen them all over -- dealer websites, E-Bay, local shows, auctions. Lot of stuff floating around, just have to get there first. image
    Keith ™

• littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I've also noticed that in this poor state of economy, people start selling off their collectables.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    David Lawrence, Heritage Auctions, other dealer web sites, the boards, etc.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    People are buying: David Lawrence's early proof Jefferson inventory has dropped from 93 to 55 in less than a week! And, no unfortunately, it's not because I bought a coin I have been searching for the past two months and can't find!