Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's up with 54 Bowman?

Sometimes when you open your mouth all you do is show how little you know. Well here goes. I've been trying to learn more about some of the sets from the 1950's. Everything that I have seen on the 1954 Bowman seems to suggest that it was a major disappointment after the very nice 53 bowman color. And then when you look at the sets registered, many of the big time collectors are not listed as collecting this set. Is there a reason for this? I'm just curious.

Wayne
1955 Bowman Football

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Many collectors don't find it particularly eye appealing. I would list myself in that camp.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I actually collected this set up until a few months ago, and removed it from the registry. Part of the charm was that few seemed to collect it, so to land some PSA-8 commons for $30 ish was a steal for a near 50 year old set. Sure its not as popular or as nice as the '53 Bowman color and/or B&W, but its still a vintage set w/ a nice star selection, and a do-able # of cards required, about 100 less (224) then the more popular Color TV '55's. I plan one day to re-do the '54 Bowman set, I suggest Wayne, you look into it too!...jay
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Wayne:

Many of the big names do collect this set, but they do not have the set fully graded. They may have most of the stars in PSA 8 and PSA 9 -- with some commons in 9, but essentially raw cards filling out the set. I know at least two major collectors to whom this applies.

In fact -- one of them was in the process of sending in their 1954 set when they became a tad disenfranchised with PSA's "tougher" grading policies (whereas all his raw stars were 8s and 9s a few years ago, his commons were coming back as primarily 7s, some 8s, and a few lesser). So -- not sure what the final outcome of that endeavour will be -- but the sets are out there.

Now 1955 Bowman. That set is a BEAUTY!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc is right -- the 1955 Bowman set is cool looking. Yet it still pales in comparison to the 1951 set.
  • Options
    Entrace Fee to play the 1955 Bowman game: $10
    Entrace Fee to play the 1951 Bowman game: Mega-Vargha-Bucks

Plus -- my set has those cool-looking umpire cards -- and none of those pesky Hall of Fame rookies cluttering up my collection.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    There isn't anything really exciting about a 1954 Bowman set. If you compare it with 1954 Topps it pales in comparison The only thing it has going for itself is that it does contain a Mickey Mantle, and it has a very expensive Ted Williams card. In Topps, you get 2 Ted Williams cards, most of the other stars, and Rookies of Aaron, Banks, and Kaline. If you collect all the sets you would of course "have" to buy them. If you only collect based on what you find appealing, the Bowman isn't going to make many lists.
  • Options
    Marc -- Vargha Bucks no longer qualify you as a player in the 1951 set now. It's all about the Branca Bucks now. Just think, between John and Charlie, they have over half of the 1951 PSA 9's locked up in their collections. And John has four of the seven PSA 10's.
  • Options
    Vargha-

Please don't be so self-deprecating, Mr. I have over 35 PSA 9's in my collection. Vargha Bucks took you a long way, Baby!!
  • Options
    LOL!
  • Options
    <<Just think, between John and Charlie, they have over half of the 1951 PSA 9's locked up in their collections. And John has four of the seven PSA 10's. >>

And with Vargha and Fogel with their collections, over 75% of the 9's are accounted for!

This is an example of where the Registry really works -- and what the picture should look like at the end of the day. There are still many sets from the 1950s where it seems like less than 25% of the 9's are registered.
  • Options
    Thanks guys - you answered my question very well. I'm wasn't looking to start a 1954 set - it just seemed kind of overlooked, undercollected, or ignored.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    '54 Bowman actually has more cards of HOFers than '54 Topps, for whatever that's worth.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I have a question on the 54 Bowmans.

I was looking through some '54 Bowmans and noticed that some cards had pure white fronts and some had off-white (brownish) fronts. Is this common with '54 Bowmans? Would there be a price difference?

One of the cards was a Mantle with PSA 5-6 qaulity front but had writing on the back that had been erased off. The eraser mark was about a 1/4" wide by 1" long. What would this card grade at?
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Many collectors don't find it particularly eye appealing. I would list myself in that camp. >>

DOES THAT APPLY TO THE ICON THAT Wayne8348 IS USING?!! WHY IS THAT ALLOWED?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Because I was once a little bitty ball of clay...

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Bigkid,

Oh my - I didn't even notice what they were doing. I just saw gumbie and went for it. That will be changed!

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    One of the cards was a Mantle with PSA 5-6 qaulity front but had writing on the back that had been erased off. The eraser mark was about a 1/4" wide by 1" long. What would this card grade at?

PSA 1 or 2. Possibly PSA 5 MK.
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    Really? From the front you couldn't tell, so isn't that "looks fine at first glance", which is VG?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com