Does PCGS bother with imaging counterfeits that come in for grading?
I can see how they would not waste of time. If they did image them is that something they will share?
Comments
-
I don't think so.
Every counterfeit I've owned/seen- even with a Gold Shield, has not returned with a TrueView.

Is it possible PCGS does take photos and store them internally?
2 -
I'd think they would have something on file for future reference on their part, just saying
3 -
They should just to get some practice.
0 -
Counterfeits have been photographed since the very beginning of TrueView. The counterfeit record is one of PCGS’s most important assets.
Phil Arnold
Director of Photography, GreatCollections
greatcollections.com18 -
Do NGC and Anacs charge for these? Generally ICG does not.
0 -
@braddick said:
I don't think so.
Every counterfeit I've owned/seen- even with a Gold Shield, has not returned with a TrueView.

Is it possible PCGS does take photos and store them internally?
I figured they took images but they felt it was best to not share the information. I'm good with that. I started off thinking the images would be easy to find and was missing where to look for them.
Larry0 -
^
That is cool!
Thanks!1 -
I believe that our host should image them...well, at least when Phil was around.
oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's
BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...0 -
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.
4 -
@4Redisin said:
@jwitten said:
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.Does icg offer a photo service?
I’m not sure. I don’t think they took pictures, but they may have a service I’m unaware of.
0 -
@4Redisin said:
@jwitten said:
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.Does icg offer a photo service?
Yes, but it's junky (in my opinion). 1843-d $5 counterfeit ICG pics:

1 -
@zer0man said:
@4Redisin said:
@jwitten said:
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.Does icg offer a photo service?
Yes, but it's junky (in my opinion). 1843-d $5 counterfeit ICG pics:


They need to add the Chinese characters for "fake" to that label. Google Translate's coming up with this "伪币", so it wouldn't take up much room, assuming it's correct.
Of course, the counterfeits being put in ICG holders are typically contemporary, so Chinese wouldn't make as much sense.
John
Keeper of the VAM Catalog • Professional Coin Imaging • Prime Number Set • World Coins in Early America • British Trade Dollars • Variety Attribution0 -
@4Redisin said:
@zer0man said:
@4Redisin said:
@jwitten said:
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.Does icg offer a photo service?
Yes, but it's junky (in my opinion). 1843-d $5 counterfeit ICG pics:


Do you think it might be the coin? The slab image is sharp and colorful.
That coin looks very low grade and the dark color leads me to believe the coin is heavily toned copper that may have been gold plated at one time. These contemporary counterfeit gold coins were intended to fool the merchant or bartender rather than a coin collector.
Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire0 -
@PerryHall said:
@4Redisin said:
@zer0man said:
@4Redisin said:
@jwitten said:
Phil told me he took pictures of my omega $20 high relief but the bosses did not want to release them, even after I got it slabbed in a counterfeit slab at icg. I would love to have the pictures, and think if they labeled it as an omega counterfeit it would be neat.Does icg offer a photo service?
Yes, but it's junky (in my opinion). 1843-d $5 counterfeit ICG pics:


Do you think it might be the coin? The slab image is sharp and colorful.
That coin looks very low grade and the dark color leads me to believe the coin is heavily toned copper that may have been gold plated at one time. These contemporary counterfeit gold coins were intended to fool the merchant or bartender rather than a coin collector.
This is a coin I own. I agree with @PerryHall 's description of the coin.
I'm not sure what is meant by "the coin" to which @4Redisin refers.1
Leave a Comment
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum










