1983 Penny
Hey everyone! I’m still pretty new to all this, but I think I may have come across something interesting and wanted to get your input. I found a 1983 penny that seems unusual—it feels slightly lighter than a typical copper cent, and the sound when I drop it is a little different too. The details look sharp, and I don’t see any obvious damage or post-mint tampering. From what I’ve read, some 1983 pennies were mistakenly struck on copper planchets instead of the intended zinc ones, and I’m wondering if this might be one of them.
I know I still have a lot to learn, so I’d love to hear what you all think. Has anyone here found or tested a 1983 copper cent before? What should I look for next to help confirm what I’ve got?
Thanks in advance—I’m really excited to be part of this group and learn from you all!
Comments
-
@Winterrbrown said:
From what I’ve read, some 1983 pennies were mistakenly struck on copper planchets instead of the intended zinc ones, and I’m wondering if this might be one of them.The odds of finding one of those is extremely low, but if you want to know for sure, just weigh it.
0 -
it feels slightly lighter than a typical copper cent, and the sound when I drop it is a little different too.
Wouldn't that suggest its made of zinc? 🤔
1 -
“It feels lighter than a typical copper cent”
Yes it will because it is a zincoin which weighs 2.5 g
A copper cent weighs 3.11g0 -
@IkesT said:
@Winterrbrown said:
From what I’ve read, some 1983 pennies were mistakenly struck on copper planchets instead of the intended zinc ones, and I’m wondering if this might be one of them.The odds of finding one of those is extremely low, but if you want to know for sure, just weigh it.
1
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum



