Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I see from this link there is a leader Board for the PSA Registry Awards

My question is all I could find was Football is there a baseball?

Football Awards page

BTW congrats to those on the list.
x

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I am officially calling davalillo God from now on.

Dominating the vintage football scene.

You sir are my new hero.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Jim has a phenomenal collection in baseball as well. He is truly one of the card collecting heavyweights.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    That is the leaderboard for football. They post different leader boards at different times. Those are not the award winners.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who can realistically underatke a collection of nearly 100 baseball cards sets, in completely graded form, deserves great kudos. Especially when it is managed from a smart perspective -- and not a "I have more money than God, so I will buy every high grade example I ever come in contact with" perspective. A very smart, restrained, and comprehensive collection of (nearly) all that is wonderful in our hobby. Kudos.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Mikeschmidt,

Sometimes the I will buy any high grade card that I come in contact with is the only way to go. There are a nummber of cards that I have found that second chances are few and far between. The art comes in understanding the difference.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Jim is building so many sets that restraint is truly required. I agree with Alan though, when you are only collecting one or two sets that you not only can be less restrained, but find yourself in the position of "having" to buy at times when convenience is not the issue. There are purchases I have made that seemed to be high priced at the time, but I was glad because the next example sold for much, much more or has never come around again. There have been things that I passed up that I later regretted not getting and having to pay more for as well. But Marc is right. Jim is one of the most disciplined buyers out there and is willing to bide his time until his price comes along.
  • Options
    The leaderboard on the awards page gets updated by BJ weekly. She changes the sports category so that a different sport would be displayed. Please check back another week to see if the baseball stats are up. These are not the final winners of course, just the current standing.

Penny
    Collectors Universe
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I have to say again that I hate the whole idea.

Baseball cards are like art, and anyone who collects art with the point of having the best art collection is missing out on the point of art. Art is not about ego, it's about enjoyment.

The all-time best collectors are those who thoroughly enjoy collecting, their collections, and the card collecting hobby as a whole, regardless of whether their own collection is a bunch of penciled cards with rubbed off corners, or a velvet-lined rosewood box full of PSA-10's.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thank you David, Marc and Carew for the kind words. I have a card budget and to try to collect as many sets as I am attempting to at once requires me to be disciplined. Thus, I rarely pay much over SMR for cards and am making the bet that the price of low pop cards will come down over time and I will have better opportunities. Also, if someone is willing to pay me prices that are way over SMR for low pop 8s or psa 9s, more than likely I will sell the cards.
    In regards to the last comment, I love sports, I love the cards and I love collecting. Before PSA emerged, my goal was to have nrmt-mt- sets in all sports through 1991. With the advent of grading, it seemed natural to turn this goal into nrmt-mt graded sets. As Marc says, I will have over 100 sets I am working on by yr-end. Saying all this, I am competitive. My goal is to have most sets 8 or better (and I am a long way there on a lot of sets) and I find the set registry to be great as it allows you to compete (although not in an intense way) against other collectors.
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I know you love the stuff, and I hope I didn't seem to suggest that you don't.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    In regard to football, I am sending in nearly complete sets from 1955 Bowman,1960,61 and 62 Topps and 1963 Fleer for grading shortly. In baseball, I have a few hundred more 1968s to send in and then may do 1969 and 1971 where I have nrmt-mt ungraded sets. Will also submit rest of 70-71 bball and 71-72 bball.
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    Jim,

Just keep digging up those off grade Bill Russell RCs for me, and I'll be happy! I can say that while I have as much quantity of baseball cards than probably anyone in the country that doesn't go by TOpps, Fleer, Upper Deck, or others, the quality just isn't there!

Enjoy - cya in Chi-town?
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Solomon,

I have more off condition cards for you if you are interested. Greg Manning stopped taking them--I thought you were only interested in the new stuff?
  • Options
    Jim - I buy anything I can make a buck off of - actually, most of the business I'm doing right now is non-graded vintage. Whatever sells...drop me an e-mail @ solomondcramer@aol.com sometime if you wish - can't PM you. Also would address your previous question on stuff in PSA holders, but won't post it to boards...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options

<< <i>I have to say again that I hate the whole idea.

Baseball cards are like art, and anyone who collects art with the point of having the best art collection is missing out on the point of art. Art is not about ego, it's about enjoyment.

The all-time best collectors are those who thoroughly enjoy collecting, their collections, and the card collecting hobby as a whole, regardless of whether their own collection is a bunch of penciled cards with rubbed off corners, or a velvet-lined rosewood box full of PSA-10's.

bruce >>

I totally agree here with Bruce. I would like to think that I fit into this category.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    "Baseball cards are like art, and anyone who collects art with the point of having the best art collection is missing out on the point of art. Art is not about ego, it's about enjoyment."

Hey Bruce,

Wanted to chime in here...being an Artist myself, and having seen countless collections of art, antiques, etc. Competion is very strong in the "art" community. Ever see "The Thomas Crown Affair?" Art is ALL about EGO!!! Trust me, I've been in enough meetings amoung hard-core art collectors that I've seen a "collector" pay $25k for a painting that literally was nothing more than several small cans of paint THROWN at a big canvas, that's it! Art is like beauty...it is all in the eye of the beholder.

"Art" has a very different meaning for each person! You think people miss the point...not a chance! In fact, I think this board, forum and registry has FUELED my passions, as well as other collectors, I'm certain. I have an evern GREATER apprciation for my collection, my art!

There is no difference between someone paying $25k for a painting, or $25k for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. I'll take the Mantle everytime! Not everyone feels that way.

Coins are art too. Sculpted by some of the worlds greatest artists. PCGS hosts a site just like this one where collectors register and compare their collections. This format will only grow over the years!

Let's face it...in America we compare and compete...over everything!

Bruce, this ADDS to the enjoyment!!! 4 out of 5 collectors surveyed all agree!

You gotta love it!
    Proud owner of the finest 1972 Topps Football high-number set!!!
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

there is a leaderborad guys... who will win... i dont get my certificates any longer

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Wow, Davilillo and Vharga. Days of yore And mikeschmidt too

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al