Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The Fakest Coin I Ever Seen!

For this episode of: “the fakest coin I ever seen.” I present you with an 8 reales! The current offering is touted as a Bolivian 8 reales pillar from 1768!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are some of the “fakest coins” of which you’re aware?

• threefiftythreefifty Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Nice! Thick, weird pillars, squat castles with tiny windows, uneven lettering, what's not to like?

I'll contribute one of my favorites from my collection...

• Well, that "1768" that went up today is, by its execution/fabric, some sort of modern concoction... As such, it's really more properly a tribute or imitation rather than a numismatic "fake"/repro/replica, as the very inexact design elements clearly aren't meant to make it an exact copy or fool anybody.

That "1821", otoh, has age to it. Truly contemporary? Not certain... Sort of has an Asian look to it (there are some later Asian "imitations" that seem to be meant as mementos, charms or similar - way underweight, clearly not meant as counterfeit money). What's the weight here? Does swamperbob recognize it?

In general, as you guys know, important to differentiate rather than just saying "fakes"... that brings the troglodytes out.

Another modern tribute/imitation:

• threefiftythreefifty Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

The 1821 is 26.99 g, SG ~ 8.6. I think it is German silver, emailed swamperbob about it a while back but he hasn't gotten back to me.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2024 7:58AM

@realeswatcher said:
    Well, that "1768" that went up today is, by its execution/fabric, some sort of modern concoction... As such, it's really more properly a tribute or imitation rather than a numismatic "fake"/repro/replica, as the very inexact design elements clearly aren't meant to make it an exact copy or fool anybody.

I think you’re looking for the “best fakes” thread. This is for the crappy ones! 😂

But yes, I agree to your point.