Home Stamps Forum

Need Help Selling Stamps at Auction

I inherited a group of stamps from a relative who began collecting in the early 1950's. Representative of most of the collection are the stamps shown in the photos. My understanding is that with many/most of these stamps forgeries could exist.

Could forum members suggest a good, reputable, trustworthy stamp auctioneer who could skillfully evaluate the stamps in this small collection and then sell these on consignment?

Thanks, in advance, for advice and recommendations.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do the valuations shown come from? Are they Scott catalog values? If they are from the distant past there is a good chance they will have lost value as stamp collecting is a declining hobby.

Are there any stamp dealers in the area where your live? If there are then asking them some questions may help you with your search for a way to sell them.

Consignment probably isn't the way to go. If they are stamps the market still wants then an auction would probably be best.
    If the stamps have faults of any kind their value will decline sharply so handle them with care.

All glory is fleeting.
  • The stamp values are are old, and the notations were probably written in the 1960's or 1970's. I think that the references are from the Scott catalogue mostly.

Can anyone suggest an auction firm that might consider their sale? Thank you.

• Thank you for the references. Much appreciated!

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stamps. If legit, they should all sell.

• Thank you!