Home U.S. Coin Forum

For those of us looking for '24 five cent pieces... how's it going?

So far, CRH has landed me 27 of them... all Philly. Some look UNC, while most would garner a high AU. Just bought a Loomis box and I still have 2/3 of it to search

"Next year we could have an 8 cent nickel. Think what that would mean. You could go to a newsstand, buy a 3 cent newspaper, and get the same nickel back again. One nickel carefully used could last a family a lifetime." - Capt. Jeffrey T. Spaulding

Comments

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

One 2024-D nickel and one 2024-P dime are all that I have found of either denomination. I usually get philly rolls, and I haven't seen any full ones. I have gotten like $20 in cents and several hundred dollars of the first two types of quarters and of the halves. I don't have time to post the link right now but I have a thread for 2024 coins with a census.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Wow... what a kick this morning. About 1/3 of the way through my nickels box... lo and behold... a '36-D Buffalo in Good condition. My first Buffalo nickel since I was a lad. Still finding more '24-Ps in anywhere from 58 to Unc. Any other positive reports on this front?

"Next year we could have an 8 cent nickel. Think what that would mean. You could go to a newsstand, buy a 3 cent newspaper, and get the same nickel back again. One nickel carefully used could last a family a lifetime." - Capt. Jeffrey T. Spaulding

• Any more 2024 nickel stories? Almost done w/ my box. No more Buffs, no silver, but some knucklehead snuck a 5 cent Euro in one roll.

I haven't gotten any more despite having done more than five boxes in the last couple of weeks. I have three more ready to search, so maybe I will find one.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• @CRHer700 said:
    I haven't gotten any more despite having done more than five boxes in the last couple of weeks. I have three more ready to search, so maybe I will find one.

Bummer. I've found mine in Loomis rolls. Only 1 or 2 in Brinks. I've even tossed some with shmutz on them back in the rolls I return to my bank. I think I've amassed close to 50 thus far. About 10 or 12 more rolls to search.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

On pg 9, Numismatic News, August 27, Skyline Coins and Currency
    are selling rolls of 2024-D nickels for $69.50 plus $9.00 shipping.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not doing any roll searching, but when shopping etc I always try to get as much in change as possible. No 24's as yet.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

No 24's - what's the big deal with them?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• @Steven59 said:
    No 24's - what's the big deal with them?

Relatively small mintage, Steven. Go to the Mint's website and see how many have been minted thus far. Not many more will be, as the Mint is working on the changeover to '25 coins.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2024 3:12PM

Two facts about the nickel
    During the recession 20 years ago the mintage of the nickel was cut quite a bit.
    Many of those nickels wound up in Puerto Rico for some reason.
    2nd, the nickel is the least necessary in any transaction, only one needed.

• Final tally after CRH my first box of nickels and first box of quarters:
    1 1936-D Buffalo
    1 silver 1943-D Jefferson
    1 5 cent Euro
    1 roll's worth of 2024 nickels in AU 58 (prob a few uncs, too) + about a half roll's worth in lesser condition

And 1 silver '64 quarter. Plus, of course, a goodly number of fills. Conclusion: a lot of work that made the eyes glaze over a few times, but enjoyable.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received my first 2024 coin at a Quick Trip. A Lincoln Cent. That’s the only domination that I’ve received so far this year

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got some really nice dimes and looked like 2025. I was wrong when I got home and checked with magnifier, they are 2023. Does PCGS grade anything this new?

@davewesen said:
    I got some really nice dimes and looked like 2025. I was wrong when I got home and checked with magnifier, they are 2023. Does PCGS grade anything this new?

Yes, and some of the dimes that I have seen are quite nice. The halves and quarters tend to have large gouges on them for some reason.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see this thread I think 1924, because when I started collecting they were still in change and not worth keeping unless VF or better.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not found one as of yet in Southern WV.
    Ji.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file