Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Mounted currency

The obsolete bank notes and Confederate currency pictured here are real. I got them from my friend's estate when he passed. His name was Wade Boughton and he was a well known NE coin and currency dealer. I'm curious about their potential value and I'm wondering if currency can safely be removed from a frame. Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m unable to put a value on the notes but I have a source for removing any mounting remnants remaining on the notes once they’re freed from the frames. Her name is Nancy Poli, and most serious collectors consider her the best. I’ve used her services and was completely satisfied with the results. You can reach her here - http://www.polirestoration.com/

• TyrockTyrock Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Thank you

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tyrock, can't tell you how to remove the mounted notes or their value do to them being mounted or glued down to their backing. But I can tell you I knew Wade very well when he and his wife owned their coin/antique shop in Rochester, N.Y. From the mid through late 90's, I spent many hours and dollars in Wade's LCS. I'm thinking it was called Hidden Treasures. Wade was always a guy who would deal with you fairly and honestly. I still have pretty much all the coins and paper currency I purchased from him in the 4 or 5 years I knew him. I was sorry to see him leave and move to Rhode Island. Did you acquire anything else from his estate and was that in R.I.? Zack

• TyrockTyrock Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I still have coins I bought from Wade, and I have a world coin catalog and CDN that were in his home office. He was living in RI when he passed, but had closed his RI store and was just doing shows. Used to attend the Newport County Coin Club with him.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2024 2:48PM

The top sheet is worth about $500 and the Confederate notes about $250 for all. The cost of professional removal probably wouldn't be justified.

I'd probably leave them framed. The top sheet looks to be professionally framed and probably somewhat recently. If done properly, it shouldn't be glued a may be just held in place by the pressure of the frame glass and maybe a single small spot of adhesive somewhere to keep it from sliding. If glued it may require soaking or steaming and proper drying. You can probably remove it easily yourself by just taking apart the frame.

You may want to leave the Confederate notes on their backing because the old notations (probably 19th century) adds to their interest and possibly value. If you wanted to remove them, soaking would be required. The glue is most likely water soluble but some are pretty stubborn and can require more soaking time. The key to drying is slow, weigh down with heavy book, and use paper towel at first and absorbent smooth paper as the note dries. Change paper several times as absorbent paper wrinkles and note dries. Experiment with a single note first.

Again, unless you have a good reason, I'd leave them as is.

And I remember Wade, too, from upstate NY (Albany) shows. I think that he knew Gordon Harris, author of the NY scrip book, when they were both in Rochester. Wade counted pig and chicken vignettes on obsolete notes among his interests. I was always on the lookout for new pigs and chickens for him.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.