Home Q & A Forum

Inherited a small collection - need some guidance

Hello, thanks for the approval to join!

My grandmother passed a couple months ago, and part of what she left us is a small(ish) coin collection. I've been browsing some facebook groups and using the PCGS website to get an idea on value. In general, we'll be looking to sell. But for now, hoping to get some thoughts and ideas on some of the coins and, more importantly, how do I get a feel for the potential grade (and therefore value).

I'll include some pics further down, but there are a lot of 1880s-1910s pennies, dimes and nickels in varying conditions. A decent collection of mercury dimes, though only a couple look to be in really nice shape. Foreign stuff. A whole lot of buffalo nickels with the date no longer visible. Some (not every year) proof sets from 60s-2000s. Rolls of 1960s pennies in very nice shape. And most importantly, one that I assume (but hope isn't) a replica from 1776.

And now, the pics. Some of these only show 1 side of the coin. The collection is at my parents house at the moment, and some of these pics were taken just so I could zoom and see details better, or to use google lens to see what the heck it was!

Comments

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Riceloft said:
    Hello, thanks for the approval to join!

My grandmother passed a couple months ago, and part of what she left us is a small(ish) coin collection. I've been browsing some facebook groups and using the PCGS website to get an idea on value. In general, we'll be looking to sell. But for now, hoping to get some thoughts and ideas on some of the coins and, more importantly, how do I get a feel for the potential grade (and therefore value).

That's a modest collection in terms of value. The easiest way to deal with them (with the best return) will be to list them for sale on eBay. If you list them as auctions with low starting bids, this allows the bidders to set the price (and you don't have to worry about grading or pricing the coins yourself). Coins that are worth a bit more, like the uncirculated 1909 VDB 1c, should be listed individually. Low value coins (like common date, low grade junk silver coins) can be sold in groups to save on eBay listing fees. If you don't want to go to the time and trouble of dealing with eBay, you can take them to a local coin dealer and sell them. You'll get a lot less money, but the convenience of selling them quickly all at once.

The 1776 is a replica, FYI.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the 1944 cent defective die is about.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pmd pushed 1 is likely the suspect

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Thank you for the feedback! Lots to think about.

One more question:

The coins that are worth more as melt value for silver - whats the best route to move those?