Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1858 and 1859 Canadian Large Cents, Varieties? Opinions please.

A friend who knows way more about Canadian coins than I do thinks these two cents are tough varieties. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Vern
l
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comments

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2024 11:54PM

The first is an 1858 cent from a common die pair. Normally it would grade somewhere around AU-55 to MS-60, but I think the surfaces have been impaired by something, perhaps a solvent. Unimpaired retail value would run $300-500 Canadian dollars. It is worth considerably less in its current condition.

The second is an 1859 cent variety called the Double Punched Narrow 9 #1 (DPN9 #1). It is a scarce variety, and I would grade your coin about XF-45. Its retail value runs about $750 Canadian dollars.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Needless to say, I agree fully with Bosox.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you both.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a website that lists all of the 248 -- 1859 Canadian varieties known.
    https://www.vickycents.com/haxby-numbers.html
    248 varieties for coin that has a mintage of only 10,000,000 gives an average mintage of 40,322 per die. Some will be more scarce or even rare dependent on the life of the particular die. I wonder if anyone has ever took the challenge of trying to collect all 248 known varieties. Probably a near impossible task and a lifetime goal.

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Yes, I know of 4-5 people who are working hard to complete the Haxby list ... some are way over 220 or 230.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭

I'm at 210.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay