Home Sports Talk

Do you follow baseball?

DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long time ago you didn't have to ask. Everyone did. At least the guys.

Flipping the channels a couple of days ago, hit the Cleveland-Detroit game. One time huge baseball fan, couldn't name a player on either team. Watched two innings as it was my old hometown. Was ok, but sort of mechanical. Almost scripted.

Probably tune in an occasional inning of the World Series. Something dumb will happen with the recent rules. Social media will scream that the game was rigged. They would likely be wrong, but you can't be sure.

I really do still love the game. Just don't follow it all that much.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2024 5:31AM

I pay attention on a daily basis during the playoffs, during the regular season I keep tabs on the standings and what's going on but don't watch any of it.

If the Sox make the ALCS I will watch the games but other than that it's just score and stat checks.

Too many other things to do than tie myself up watching a regular season baseball game

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll watch the World Series with my sons but haven’t really had time to catch too many innings of the divisional round.

I don’t get too caught up in the idiot-machine that is social media.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you follow baseball?

Not since '94...

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Tigers. I have hated the Indians since they changed their name.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Follow? Yeah, obsessively. But, maybe not in a conventional way. I've been in love with the sport forever. I will share a few examples:

I recall watching Jurickson Profar playing in the Little League World Series years ago. Tonight I'll be watching him try to help his team move on in the MLB Playoffs. Cool stuff. Fun player.

I recall being amazed by Giancarlo Stanton, then known as Mike, as a high school phenom. He was already hitting bombs over buildings and parking lots. My son played for the same team and was essentially a backup to him. I watched as Stanton helped lead the Yanks into the next round of the playoffs. Cool stuff. The ball still travels the same way when he barrels it.

My forum ID is directly related, of course, to Javier Baez, notorious for being rather non-selective when swinging a bat. I attended Game 3 of the 2016 WS and watched him end it by whiffing on a pitch up around his eyes with 2 runners on base. But, the Cubbies won the title in 7 anyways, so I forgave him. I wished for him to be around for Detroit's run this season, but I doubt he may even play another game for them.

I follow. Always. There's so much more to share. It would take many hours and too many beers.

Boo.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I follow it still. The allure isn't the same as back in the day when following it in the next day's newspaper and watching every highlight show you could get your hands(eyes) on.

Nothing is the same as it was during your formative years. There are too many competing forces tugging and picking at oneself to give the game the same dedication as we once did when we were unburdened.

The small rule changes are kinda weird but really insignificant in the overall scheme of the game to make me want to divest myself from it.

The strategy on the field shifted a bit over the years but that element was always there back then, and I'm ok with that becoming more widespread around the league. That type of change has been constant since the beginning of the game and each generation disses the current one because it is different than theirs...and that may be the only constant in the game, bemoaning how the game has changed :)

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Why?

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

I don't think the lack of passion for baseball is unique to the sport. I think all entertainment is facing the same dilemma as there are so many more options.

• @Mistlin said:
    I don't think the lack of passion for baseball is unique to the sport. I think all entertainment is facing the same dilemma as there are so many more options.

I want to refute this comment, but I can't. Passion for the sport is different now. It manifests itself in appearance by design. Marketing and tons upon tons of outerwear. That's baseball. ;)

Boo.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Baseball was the game of tradition and history. Rule changes and name changes are stubbornly resisted. Especially when there is no positive reason for the disruption.

Well, that is my take.

The most consistent part of baseball has been rule changes since its inception. I stopped watching when they required runners to touch 2nd base!

• @bgr said:
    The most consistent part of baseball has been rule changes since its inception. I stopped watching when they required runners to touch 2nd base!

When they said "No more ciggies in the dugout."

Ruined everything.

Boo.

@bgr said:

And when they required 2nd basemen to touch second base.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭✭

I hate most of the MLB rule changes that makes it a little harder to watch teams I dont care about but I follow the sport closely. For anyone that loves baseball but hates some of the dumb rules I would strongly suggest getting into college baseball. So far other than whats allowed for bats the only two major changes they have had are a reasonable pitch clock and a 10 run slaughter rule during the regular season which is really more of a reflection of the talent disparities you can have

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I thought the extra inning runner on 2nd would really bug me but I’ve come to appreciate it.

I thought the defensive shift rules were silly but now I prefer it.

I didn’t think teams would get used to the pitch clock but that does keep the pace and I appreciate it.

I’m in favor of the blocking rule but I don’t see it properly metered.

Im glad the NL adopted the DH.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

when i could see a game for $4 i followed it. The more ways there are to follow sports now the less im interested.

I'd listen on the radio back then!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The game can still take me back to the halcyon days of my youth. For instance, just the other day Galaxy started a thread with old time baseball pictures. It caused me to do an image search of Willie Stargell, my favorite player before George Brett. I eventually thought about the time my Dad and I were watching the Saturday game on NBC and Stargell was barreling toward second base, slid and popped up short of the bag and tried to call time out😂
    Well to my surprise my Dad got a huge laugh out of it. I was surprised because he was so serious about baseball. He was a very good player in his youth and coached me a
    few years when I had to pray that enough of my fellow farm boys would show up on game night so we could field a team. I once was pitching and walked back to the dugout when the inning was over. I knew it was a no no with my Dad coaching. Sure enough he chewed me out the entire half inning while we batted. I can still hear him yelling, You better act like you want to be out there! I knew on my dad’s team you ran on and off the field but I tried to get away with a short walk from the mound. 😂 Anyway that’s how he felt about the game, you show the game complete respect or he will chew your ass enough to give you a memory that lasts your whole life.
    So anyway when Stargell made my Dad laugh I think I was even more in awe of both of them after that😁

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Do you follow baseball?

I don't start watching baseball until October... I'm from New York! 🤣 😂 👍 ⚾️

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

BTW: Subway Series........you heard it here first! 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Who wants to root for a team named after a security alarm? Ridiculous.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@OAKSTAR said:

Definitely wont be watching that one if it happens lol. With the Padres blowing the series the most likeable team left is probably the Tigers

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Definitely wont be watching that one if it happens lol.

I'll tell you who will be watching and wants a subway series more the anyone, are the sponsors and broadcast networks. Cha-Ching $$🤑💰💵$

@OAKSTAR said:

@Basebal21 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Definitely wont be watching that one if it happens lol.

I'll tell you who will be watching and wants a subway series more the anyone, are the sponsors and broadcast networks. Cha-Ching $$🤑💰💵$

Theyre really hoping for Dodgers Yankees. That would be the dream match up for the sponsors and networks

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@DocBenjamin said:

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Baseball was the game of tradition and history. Rule changes and name changes are stubbornly resisted. Especially when there is no positive reason for the disruption.

Well, that is my take.

Name changes that removes objectifying an entire group of people is a good thing.

Native Americans don't exist to be your teams mascot and anyone suggesting "tradition" should read up on how damaging the practice is.

@Mistlin said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Well, that is my take.

objectifying an entire group of people

Never happened.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Mistlin said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Well, that is my take.

Name changes that removes objectifying an entire group of people is a good thing.

Native Americans don't exist to be your teams mascot and anyone suggesting "tradition" should read up on how damaging the practice is.

They were a lousy team in the decades that I watched baseball. Baltimore was the nemeses of my Tiger team.

Starting my 'Thread Closed' timer.... NOW!

tick tock. tick tock.

@bgr said:

tick tock. tick tock.

We should be ok. I searched "Indian," on the U.S. coin forum and 36,000 results came up.

@DocBenjamin said:

@bgr said:

tick tock. tick tock.

We should be ok. I searched "Indian," on the U.S. coin forum and 36,000 results came up.

Hurricane Mistlin is still capable of strengthening into a major storm!

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Definitely wont be watching that one if it happens lol. With the Padres blowing the series the most likeable team left is probably the Tigers

I always find the Dodgers likeable. Great franchise for a very long stretch. Almost never bad for more than a year or two for decades. They are smart and they spend money to win.

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@Basebal21 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I always find the Dodgers likeable. Great franchise for a very long stretch. Almost never bad for more than a year or two for decades. They are smart and they spend money to win.

I like Freeman and Othani is fun to watch, but I really dont like Roberts and I can never call a team that Lebron is a part owner of likable lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being part Native American I have no problem being named for a sports team. However being part American I have a problem with a team named for Draft Dodgers and another for Communist.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Being part Native American I have no problem being named for a sports team. However being part American I have a problem with a team named for Draft Dodgers and another for Communist.

I don’t know these rumors. Dodgers? I thought that was something with traffic or something. What’s the communism tie? Just curious.

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2024 6:50PM

Trolley Dodgers. Bums. ;)

Boo.

@bgr said:

@Brick said:

I don’t know these rumors. Dodgers? I thought that was something with traffic or something. What’s the communism tie? Just curious.

Cincinatti, maybe.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@Mistlin said:

@coolstanley said:

Why?

Well, that is my take.

That's why some Native American groups are suing to have their names reinstated.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

Could you please explain.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of Dodger could there be but a draft dodger? In the 50s Cincinnati was always called the Redlegs to conceal their affiliation with the commies. However the Cuban players they signed in the 60s showed where their heart was. ;)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Well, there goes the Subway Series.

• GrooGroo Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    What kind of Dodger could there be but a draft dodger? In the 50s Cincinnati was always called the Redlegs to conceal their affiliation with the commies. However the Cuban players they signed in the 60s showed where their heart was. ;)

@Brick said:
    Being part Native American I have no problem being named for a sports team. However being part American I have a problem with a team named for Draft Dodgers

Cmon man it's TrolleyDodgers. Try using Prof Google.

While we're at it Duck Dodgers is a swipe at Buck Rogers.