Home Precious Metals

Would you sell gold right now to buy silver?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why or why not?

I'm pulling some profits from graded coins because ATHs help premiums and there is no guarantee it will keep going up. All indicators point to it going up and the market is bullish, but at the end of the day, there is still no guarantee.

After all, if it's good enough to screenshot or celebrate, it's good enough to take profits.

FWIW, I've made decent money on the pieces I'm selling, and am using them to buy silver pieces to turn into more.

I don't think I'd sell gold bars to buy silver bars right now, for example.

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummmm, absolutely not. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

GSR is telling me to sell gold and buy silver. Blitz is telling me not to sell gold to buy silver. H'mm. . . . Tough decision.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    GSR is telling me to sell gold and buy silver. Blitz is telling me not to sell gold to buy silver. H'mm. . . . Tough decision.

Not really tough for you as you seem to prefer spending your decades underwater. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Not really tough for you as you seem to prefer spending your decades underwater. THKS!

I've spent the past two decades buying the temporary silver dips and selling the temporary highs. I don't always get it right, but I have been right enough to still be at it. I never sell silver without a profit with those profits being pumped back into more silver. Stack grows each year.

GSR still saying "buy."

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell gold? Maybe a bit, yes.
    Sell gold to buy silver, no.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Jade Assay silver bar on eBay that I'm considering selling to fund a gold purchase.
    Had someone offer me $800 for the 10.29 ounce bar I have priced at $1100.
    eBay fees are going to be steep.
    I'd probably be a little more negotiable it that buyer found me here.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how much one has into gold.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I would make sure that my cash reserve is sufficient and that my debt is paid off.

After that, I wouldn't sell gold to buy silver, but I would definitely add to my silver stack with any new funds that become available.

Goldman Sachs and UBS have both raised their targets for gold in 2025 to somewhere north of $3,000, so I wouldn't be selling any gold.

However, the fundamentals for silver are - in my mind - unbelievably bullish for multiple reasons. Solar, strategic, and monetary reasons all add up to the potential for a silver spike that might be more impressive than in 1980. I predict that it will be like riding a wild bull.

The world seems to have decided that gold is the ultimate money, but I think that silver is going to be regarded as quite a scarce resource in the next year or two.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, gold makes more sense to keep. Keep stacking 👍

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is the gut reaction but silver is the right way to go right now. I’ve been focusing on constitutional silver for the past year or two. No regrets.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2024 7:30PM

I just sold silver (@$32) to buy some gold. Actually a specific gold coin I wanted to buy.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your time frame.

If you have time on your side, then it's a no brainer, as it's a definite 'yes'.

Short term, I don't know.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't churn your own account by selling gold. Just buy silver when you have the free funds.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I just sold silver (@$32) to buy some gold. Actually a specific gold coin I wanted to buy.

Got pics? I’m intrigued

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am selling a lot of PCGS slabbed gold coins, and many are on Great Collections currently. It seems like gold has made a pretty good run without a correction, and some profit taking makes sense to me. I also am buying some silver on dips and selling most stocks, as that market seems like it is nearing euphoria.

The proceeds will stay in some money markets waiting for hopefully a better buying opportunity. And yes, I will be buying more gold, but only at near spot prices, and nothing with high premiums like the US Mint is charging.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. They are two different commodities (inventory). Although , my banker knows I’d spend every dime on a deal that would turn a buck. Gold and silver, that is. Yet, a few of my customers have the other inclination. They’re positioned to be selling all their silver to buy gold. Either way, to me , a person is richer with it than without it.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

I traded gold for clad ( copper-nickel).
    Thus, convincing my friends I am lost.