Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Export license fee

I recently on impulse bought a coin from an auction not realizing that the item was in Spain. Long story short, I won the auction and along with an enormous buyers fee which I don't feel was totally explained. I was told I have to pay an additional fee for a " export license ". Am I being had or is this normal ?
Bob

Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• threefiftythreefifty Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Yes, that's normal to have a 5% export license fee plus the 1 month associated wait time for approval.

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2024 11:28AM

Everything you described is very Normal

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

Normal for Spain. At least it's not Italy.

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2024 11:42AM

Ok , thanks for the info. I think I've learned a valuable lesson that one should not scroll auctions sites late at night when your not paying 100% attention to the details, :o

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2024 12:37PM

Be aware, the Export License is not always 5%. For expensive items, it can escalate rapidly to 30%.

For example, on a €100,000 purchase, the export license will cost €13,700. To am unsure if the fee is charged on the buyers premium or not.

https://www.cultura.gob.es/cultura/patrimonio/exportacionimportacion/exportacion/tasas.html