Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Topps Dusty Baker PSA 9

Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2024 2:33PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The card just sold for $430 on EBAY with 16 bids. There are only 20 PSA 9's in existence with 0 tens. Does the price surprise anyone?

Baker will most likely make the Hall of Fame in 2027 and this card in high grade (PSA 9/10) is extremely rare. In fact its tougher than the 76 Brett in PSA 9.

Comments

• Over 3700 '76T Bretts submitted, only 32 PSA 9's
    A total of 88 '79T Dusty Baker submitted, only 20 PSA 9's, almost a 25% success rate

Baker's cards will continue to rise over time as people appreciate his accomplishments. However, very few cards are "tougher" than the '76T Brett, which is notorious to the hobby and has been for a very long time.

Mets in 7.

• Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 2:54PM

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Over 3700 '76T Bretts submitted, only 32 PSA 9's
    A total of 88 '79T Dusty Baker submitted, only 20 PSA 9's, almost a 25% success rate

Baker's cards will continue to rise over time as people appreciate his accomplishments. However, very few cards are "tougher" than the '76T Brett, which is notorious to the hobby and has been for a very long time.

Yes I'm aware of the submission totals. The card is pretty much worthless (worth about the grading fees if it comes back an 8) which is why the submission total is so small. My buddy has over 10000 commons from this year as he opened a vending case many years ago and all 16 Dusty Bakers that he got are off center with printing issues. The card is rare in PSA 9 and non existent in PSA 10. Bottom line the card is still harder to find in PSA 9 than the Brett. The last two sales are over $350 so let's see if the population number goes way up. I don't think it will. I'm trying to put together a 1979 PSA 9 hall of fame set and there's ample hall of famers that have less than 100 PSA 9's. 79 is a tough set to find in PSA 9.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think getting high grades in the 79s will get even harder with these new grading standards. Try opening a box or so and see what you pull that's centered on both sides. And that's before any other issues concerning printing (lots), edges or corners.

I'm a big believer (completely anecdotally) the 76 and 79 are the worst of the decade for finding nice centering.

• Yankees, Best wishes to you and all your buddies. If you consider the Baker rare, so be it. It's not worth an argument to contest the facts which accompany the long term effects on the hobby. Bottom line is, go ahead and try to find a 1976 Topps PSA 9 George Brett anytime, because the people who own them KNOW how difficult it is to acquire one. It is and always will be one of THE MOST DIFFICULT high grade cards to acquire in this hobby! The PSA 9 population rarely, if ever, goes up. There may never be a PSA 10 of that card, but I betcha don't care.

end of rant.

Mets in 7.

edited September 26, 2024 3:21PM

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Yankees, Best wishes to you and all your buddies. If you consider the Baker rare, so be it. It's not worth an argument to contest the facts which accompany the long term effects on the hobby. Bottom line is, go ahead and try to find a 1976 Topps PSA 9 George Brett anytime, because the people who own them KNOW how difficult it is to acquire one. It is and always will be one of THE MOST DIFFICULT high grade cards to acquire in this hobby! The PSA 9 population rarely, if ever, goes up. There may never be a PSA 10 of that card, but I betcha don't care.

end of rant.

Dude there's 20 PSA 9's in existence. There's 32 Brett's. That's my point. Your point is that since there are 1000's more submissions for Brett and therefore its tougher to find in PSA 9. I understand that but that's not what my point is. We both have no idea how many Baker's are out there that would receive a 9 if submitted. Its possible that two years form now there might be 50+ Bakers. Its also possible that the number will remain under the Brett total. The Brett will always be the better card and much more valuable and is my grail card. I retire in a couple of years and my first big purchase will be the Brett.

Does anyone know how many 76 Brett PSA 9's were available 10 years ago?

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2024 9:53AM

@Yankees70 said:

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Yankees, Best wishes to you and all your buddies. If you consider the Baker rare, so be it. It's not worth an argument to contest the facts which accompany the long term effects on the hobby. Bottom line is, go ahead and try to find a 1976 Topps PSA 9 George Brett anytime, because the people who own them KNOW how difficult it is to acquire one. It is and always will be one of THE MOST DIFFICULT high grade cards to acquire in this hobby! The PSA 9 population rarely, if ever, goes up. There may never be a PSA 10 of that card, but I betcha don't care.

end of rant.

Dude there's 20 PSA 9's in existence. There's 32 Brett's. That's my point. Your point is that since there are 1000's more submissions for Brett and therefore its tougher to find in PSA 9. I understand that but that's not what my point is. We both have no idea how many Baker's are out there that would receive a 9 if submitted. Its possible that two years form now there might be 50+ Bakers. Its also possible that the number will remain under the Brett total. The Brett will always be the better card and much more valuable and is my grail card. I retire in a couple of years and my first big purchase will be the Brett.

Does anyone know how many 76 Brett PSA 9's were available 10 years ago?

I don't know the history on the Brett. Maybe someone who has obsessively followed the card could chime in.

Your point has been analyzed. I should be in agreement with you regarding the '79T Baker, that, at least within the context of the 1979 Topps Set, that card is one of its toughest in higher grade. With the assumption Baker will be elected to the HOF, the current value of the card should continue to increase, as well his other high grade cards. If the population of 20 doesn't increase you will need to figure out what your max is for spending on the next auction vs. your competition for building the set. Someone who acquired the card when it was only a few bucks might be happy to take a few hundred on an auction or BIN. If you feel the value will continue to rise, then the sooner the better to get one.

Just to add in case you're unaware: The person who sold the $430 example you've referenced originally acquired the card in April, 2008 for $5.50 :o

Mets in 7.

Who that's a great profit. $5.50 to $430. Well done.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know I just talked to all the fella’s at the office and no one collects Baker. Card is trash.

edited September 27, 2024 11:59AM

@80sOPC said:
    You know I just talked to all the fella’s at the office and no one collects Baker. Card is trash.

Do you actually watch and attend in person that league?

• This thread has potential.

Mets in 7.

It appears that some people got upset because I correctly pointed out that the WNBA is a fringe league that is not supported by many die hard sports fans. It loses millions every year and would have gone under if not for the NBA paying for it. Up until this board not once has anyone questioned or disagreed with my comments. Regarding the fellas at work - I work for law enforcement. For those that don't know law enforcement dudes are a very tight group. I'm saying this because when I say that not one person I work with watched the WNBA I know 100% for sure because it has been discussed ample times where I work.

The three main reasons why we don't watch is because the level of play is bad. There are men's high school teams that play better. The majority of the women in the WNBA are extremely unattractive and a lot detest our country and say some of the most asinine things about our country. This is similar with the Women's World Cup soccer teams of the past.

If some of you like the WNBA good for you. Its a free country and you can watch and enjoy what you want. I used to love watching the Roller Derby. I knew the sport was a joke and when people told me how silly the league was I never got upset or argued with them. In closing, the WNBA is a huge money loser. It will continue to lose millions over the next decade and if I'm wrong I will be happy to admit it.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course not.

@Yankees70 said:

@80sOPC said:

Do you actually watch and attend in person that league?

• @Yankees70 said:
    For those that don't know law enforcement dudes are a very tight group.

I live in L.A. and I'm shocked at this revelation. News at 11.

Mets in 7.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Is the PSA 9 clear of the double yellow print lines (left of cap and across chest at bottom of the neck)?

I did some research and according to a post from this website in November of 2012 there was ten 1976 Brett's graded PSA 9. So in 12 years 22 PSA 9's have been graded. Almost two per year.

@georgebailey2 said:
    Is the PSA 9 clear of the double yellow print lines (left of cap and across chest at bottom of the neck)?

Are you talking about the Baker or the Brett? If the Baker you can view the photo on EBAY. Card just sold a couple of days ago.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah Baker will be HOF. Very good player and a very good manager.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:

@georgebailey2 said:

Are you talking about the Baker or the Brett? If the Baker you can view the photo on EBAY. Card just sold a couple of days ago.

The Baker.

You started the thread and didn't post a link.

Regardless, I looked it up on Ebay and it had the print defect. I would hazard to guess they all do and that it's disregarded in the grading process.

edited September 27, 2024 8:11PM

@georgebailey2 said:

@Yankees70 said:

@georgebailey2 said:

The Baker.

You started the thread and didn't post a link.

Regardless, I looked it up on Ebay and it had the print defect. I would hazard to guess they all do and that it's disregarded in the grading process.

Yes it appears they all have it. There's ample non graded Bakers for sale and they all have the same mark. I did not provide a photo because my topic was the price the card sold for. Not if the card should have received a 9.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t think this price will sustain. 8s go for $30 so people can send in during specials double their money on 8s and hit home runs on 9s. There are a lot of people with hoards of 1979s that it never would have occurred to submit Dusty Bakers. With a 25% 9 rate population will go way up.

Now the ‘71 Baker is a tough high number and his rookie. That one will continue to increase.

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭

Sent in a '71 years ago that I had pulled when I was a kid. Came back: evidence of re-coloration. Pretty funny, guess it was manufactured that way. Probably a PSA 6 as most others in the sub.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2024 6:43AM

I bought a crapload of cards in 1979, and even opened a rack box. I remember the set fondly, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a card from this set that truly looks properly cut. Something always appears off, non-straight, non-parallel…not a set for the OCD crowd!

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why has this thread gone on so long?

Unless I'm missing something, less than 1% of the 1976 George Brett cards submitted to date have received a PSA 9, and almost 25% of the 1979 Dusty Baker cards submitted to date have received a PSA 9.

That pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2024 11:17AM

@nam812 said:

Unless I'm missing something, less than 1% of the 1976 George Brett cards submitted to date have received a PSA 9, and almost 25% of the 1979 Dusty Baker cards submitted to date have received a PSA 9.

Exactly. This is a perfect example of why raw numbers should be viewed in context.

And even for many years when sub fees were under $8 per card, no one was bothering to submit 1979 Dusty Bakers, even mint Dusty Bakers, unless they were committed set collectors.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited September 28, 2024 11:46AM

@nam812 said:

The thread is about the recent sale of the 79 Baker. Did the price surprise anyone. Its not about the 76 Brett.

@grote15 said:

@nam812 said:

Exactly. This is a perfect example of why raw numbers should be viewed in context.

And even for many years when sub fees were under $8 per card, no one was bothering to submit 1979 Dusty Bakers, even mint Dusty Bakers, unless they were committed set collectors.

Once again I'm not comparing the cards. Read the entire thread.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭

It got me looking at my 79s to see how nice any dusty bakers I have are. It’s certainly a tough card. I’m not aware of why it’s tough though so I’m interested in learning by more.

I’m surprised and not surprised by the price. If that’s the card you need to move up in the set registry I can see people paying that. I’m a little surprised because I agree that there are hoards of 79s stored in pristine condition. I have an almost a whole case of 79 vending left to open and 2 5k boxes full of 79s where I only took out the Ozzies in the past.

Here are some I grabbed from the first fistful I pulled out from an old 5k a couple days ago.

There’s a lot of nice 79s out there I think so I’m not sure how rare a PSA 9 baker is. Perhaps a little surprised it went for that much. It slabbed is slabbed and registry is a big deal.

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Yankees70 said:
    It appears that some people got upset because I correctly pointed out that the WNBA is a fringe league that is not supported by many die hard sports fans. It loses millions every year and would have gone under if not for the NBA paying for it. Up until this board not once has anyone questioned or disagreed with my comments. Regarding the fellas at work - I work for law enforcement. For those that don't know law enforcement dudes are a very tight group. I'm saying this because when I say that not one person I work with watched the WNBA I know 100% for sure because it has been discussed ample times where I work.

The three main reasons why we don't watch is because the level of play is bad. There are men's high school teams that play better. The majority of the women in the WNBA are extremely unattractive and a lot detest our country and say some of the most asinine things about our country. This is similar with the Women's World Cup soccer teams of the past.

If some of you like the WNBA good for you. Its a free country and you can watch and enjoy what you want. I used to love watching the Roller Derby. I knew the sport was a joke and when people told me how silly the league was I never got upset or argued with them. In closing, the WNBA is a huge money loser. It will continue to lose millions over the next decade and if I'm wrong I will be happy to admit it.

What in the Good Lord's name does that have to do with a 1979 Dusty Baker Baseball Card?

Ask 80OPC he's the one who brought another discussion into this one See his comments below:

• Found out also the '79T Baker has a miscut problem, upper left border. I guess it depends where it was on the sheet during the cutting process. Pretty sure mine came from wax packs.

Mets in 7.

edited September 28, 2024 12:52PM

@Yankees70 said:

@grote15 said:

@nam812 said:

Come again? This was your (inaccurate) statement in the OP:

Baker will most likely make the Hall of Fame in 2027 and this card in high grade (PSA 9/10) is extremely rare. In fact its tougher than the 76 Brett in PSA 9.

The notion that a Mint 9 1979 Dusty Baker is somehow tougher than a Mint 9 1976 George Brett based on raw pop numbers is ridiculous.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    Found out also the '79T Baker has a miscut problem, upper left border. I guess it depends where it was on the sheet during the cutting process. Pretty sure mine came from wax packs.

My buddy had the same issue. He has over 15 Baker's from a vending case.

edited September 30, 2024 8:24AM

@grote15 said:

@Yankees70 said:

@grote15 said:

@nam812 said:

Come again? This was your (inaccurate) statement in the OP:

The notion that a Mint 9 1979 Dusty Baker is somehow tougher than a Mint 9 1976 George Brett based on raw pop numbers is ridiculous.

The original post was the selling price for the Baker and did it surprise anyone. I then mentioned that there are only 20 PSA 9's which make the card harder to find in PSA 9 than the 77 Guidry and 76 Brett. That's a fact. Once the Pop report for Baker surpasses the Bret total than that's not the case. Yes there are thousands more Brett's submitted but in the end there's only 20 Bakers compared to 32 for Brett.

The Brett is a far superior card and one that I will buy one day as its my grail. I know all about the rarity for the card. 20 is less than 32- that's all I'm saying about the two. I'm not comparing the Baker to Brett in any other way.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2024 9:27AM

@Yankees70 said:
    I then mentioned that there are only 20 PSA 9's which make the card harder to find in PSA 9 than the 77 Guidry and 76 Brett. That's a fact.

No, that’s not a fact. It’s a fact that fewer PSA 9s of the Baker exist. That doesn’t equate to it being “harder to find.” Demand factors into the latter statement. For example, it’s possible that the Brett is so coveted that the existing 9s are all socked away in collections and unavailable, while the Bakers may not be.

edited September 30, 2024 10:38AM

My comment is based on the number of PSA 9's graded. Currently there's 20. Its possible that there's a lot more but its also possible that there's only a couple more. At the current count there's 12 less Baker's which is a fact.

I have personally seen about 50 raw Bakers in person and they all have centering or printing issues. Once again I'm not comparing the two cards in popularity or value. The Brett blows away the Baker in every factor except that the Baker currently has less PSA 9's graded.

We recently had two sales of the Baker for $364 and $430. Let's see what the population is a year from now.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:

.........Yes there are thousands more Brett's submitted but in the end there's only 20 Bakers compared to 32 for Brett.........

Well, if that's the criteria, then how can we leave out the 1987 Topps #245 Willie Upshaw that has no PSA 10s and only 13 PSA 9s? Who cares that there have only been 31 of them submitted, right?

You get it now, right?

@Yankees70 said:
    My comment is based on the number of PSA 9's graded. Currently there's 20. Its possible that there's a lot more but its also possible that there's only a couple more. At the current count there's 12 less Baker's which is a fact.

I have personally seen about 50 raw Bakers in person and they all have centering or printing issues. Once again I'm not comparing the two cards in popularity or value. The Brett blows away the Baker in every factor except that the Baker currently has less PSA 9's graded.

We recently had two sales of the Baker for $364 and $430. Let's see what the population is a year from now.

It's also a fact that a terrible hitter with 500 at bats will amass more hits than an exceptional hitter with 100 at bats.

Context. Raw numbers are meaningless (or grossly misleading) without it.

@nam812 said:

@Yankees70 said:

.........Yes there are thousands more Brett's submitted but in the end there's only 20 Bakers compared to 32 for Brett.........

Well, if that's the criteria, then how can we leave out the 1987 Topps #245 Willie Upshaw that has no PSA 10s and only 13 PSA 9s? Who cares that there have only been 31 of them submitted, right?

You get it now, right?

I got in months ago. I think you don't get it. I have said ample times that the Brett is the far superior card in every way. The only point is there's only 20 Baker's compared to 32 Brett's. Both of these cards are from the mid-late 70's. Both are super rare in PSA 9/10. Neither one has a PSA 10 and both will be in the hall of fame in 2027. I personally have looked through thousands of cards from 1979 and every Baker I have seen has problems. Look at the raw copies on EBAY. Comparing a 87 Upshaw makes zero sense. It might make sense if I pointed out that the 1986 Don Sutton in PSA 9 only has 19 on the population report.

Once again now that that the two most recent sales for the Baker have sold for over $350 there might be ample collectors that start submitting the card to PSA and who knows the pop report could take off. I'm saying it won't. I think 5 years from now there will still be less Baker's in PSA 9. Time will tell if I'm correct.

@grote15 said:

@Yankees70 said:

It's also a fact that a terrible hitter with 500 at bats will amass more hits than an exceptional hitter with 100 at bats.

Context. Raw numbers are meaningless (or grossly misleading) without it.

20 is less than 32.

• Epic thread. There's no argument for correct maths. :D

I'm tending towards the assumption the card in question rarely, if ever, pops another 9 or WOW! a 10 because of past history and the possibility that several people have looked through their hordes only to discover that all the '79T Bakers are junk. Now that this topic blew up, I'll need to keep watching. If another previously graded PSA 9 goes to auction, I'm "betting" the price will escalate. To the OP, if you like it, buy it. Your opps are probably limited. Good luck, dude.

Mets in 7.

Thanks ELMAGO. I probably won't buy one until 28 or 29 a couple of years after he makes the hall of fame. I'm trying to get every hall of famer from that year in PSA 9. I don't think paying $400 + for that card is a good long term investment. For $400 a collector could buy a Brett, Ryan or Rose.

There's many hall of famers from the 79 set that have less than 100 available in PSA 9. Its a tough year in high grade.