Home U.S. Coin Forum

My new MVC (most-valuable coin)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 24, 2024 2:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This 1927 Saint-Gaudens double-eagle in PCGS MS66 is now my single most (monetarily) valuable coin, at least per the PCGS priceguide value.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/73263326

But in terms of my personal excitement, it’s not quite even in my Top Ten, although I’m plenty pleased to own it.

You see, I’m kind of jaded by Saints and Morgan dollars. You just see so many of them at shows. They’re both beautiful types, of course. (I also picked up a nice white NGC MS66+ 1880-S Morgan the day I bought this Saint.)

Perhaps one day I might swap this coin for something that interests me more- an ancient or early hammered World gold coin that appeals to me more historically- but in the meantime, I’m perfectly content to have this piece be my “blue chip” coin.

You can’t deny it’s aesthetically appealing.

Share your own MVC, if you feel like it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thing of beauty :)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ Sweet better-date V-Nick! I’d be proud to own that one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is a nice one.

@lordmarcovan said:

This 1927 Saint-Gaudens double-eagle in PCGS MS66 is now my single most (monetarily) valuable coin, at least per the PCGS priceguide value.

But in terms of my personal excitement, it’s not quite even in my Top Ten, although I’m plenty pleased to own it.

You see, I’m kind of jaded by Saints and Morgan dollars. You just see so many of them at shows. They’re both beautiful types, of course. (I also picked up a nice white NGC MS66+ 1880-S Morgan the day I bought this Saint.)

Perhaps one day I might swap this coin for something that interests me more- an ancient or early hammered World gold coin that appeals to me more historically- but in the meantime, I’m perfectly content to have this piece be my “blue chip” coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch 👍

@coinbuf said:
    Very nice Saint! Here is my favorite Saint in my collection.

Neat old holder, too

@renomedphys said:
    Currently PCGS AU53:

While in NGC plastic:

See, something like THAT interests me more than a Saint. But with the Saint, I’ve got bullion value, too, so…

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@lordmarcovan said:

Lordmarcovan: these PCGS MS-66 Saints still have numismatic value above gold bullion value. But if gold prices continue to rise, the premium will diminish a bit. Not that these Saints will lose their value but actually continue to rise but a little slower than gold bullion price rise.

I have seen this with PCGS graded MS-62 MS-63 MS-64 and now MS-65 Saints.

I also love collecting the NGC 2.1 white label holdered Saints in MS-60 to MS-63. They hardly exist in higher grades.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    The Saint Gaudens is still on my want list. That is a beautiful example! MS66 too! Very nice!

My most valuable is still the 1912-S V nickel that I bought from a dear forum member about 5 or 6 years ago.

And it’s still as beautiful <3 as ever, Dwayne! :)

Dave

@calgolddiver said:
    Great Saint ... here is my MVC

I’ve always wanted a piece of pre-1834 US gold. Maybe someday.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@calgolddiver said:
    Great Saint ... here is my MVC

I’ve always wanted a piece of pre-1834 US gold. Maybe someday.

Lordmarcovan:
    You are getting closer!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Chile volcano peso, 1834 with Philippines countermark, is the coin in my personal collection I've paid the most for.

However, this 1627-Madrid 8 Reales cob may be worth as much or more, and I didn't pay as much for it:

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor said:

However, this 1627-Madrid 8 Reales cob may be worth as much or more, and I didn't pay as much for it:

How can yoiu tell that that is a 1627? I can make out a 16, and possibly the base of a 2, but I would never conclude that to be a 7. Is it a one year type?

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Omegaraptor said:

How can yoiu tell that that is a 1627? I can make out a 16, and possibly the base of a 2, but I would never conclude that to be a 7. Is it a one year type?

The only two dates in the 1620s that the Madrid mint made 8 Reales cobs are 1621 and 1627. Out of those two, only 1627 uses Assayer M.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file