Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Understanding Definition and Value of "Error Cards"

Hi all! I am new to this world of collecting sports cards. I stumbled upon a couple hundred My dad and I had as a kid (most of them aren't worth anything). I have seen a few old cards sell for a high price due to "Errors" in the card. I saw someone sell a 1988 Topps - #750 Bo Jackson with Errors on it for $3,500. I have the same card so I took a look at it and I do not see the difference between the two at all. Am I missing something or does the card I have also have these "errors"?

Any help is greatly appreciated! (Images attached below - the pictures with the hand is the "error" card that sold

Tagged:

Comments

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

asked for or confirmed sell for?

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• A lot of the so-called "errors" are print marks that add no value to the card. What people post for sale and at what price, means nothing. As mentioned above, you have to go to "sold listings" on eBay or 130point.

• It looks like a confirmed sale. It does not have a line through it at all. Thats what is confusing to me.

• @82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    asked for or confirmed sell for?

Apologies I didn't quote your question. See my above comment.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Given the number of Bo Jackson collectors (and there are a lot) that card would be a “known” error if it was legit and would have had a history of sales at that level. Those are fake sales. The 1988 Bo Jackson Topps Bo Jackson is probably as subject to various print maladies as any card in that set. Unfortunately there are many ebayers who try to pass print defects off as RARE errors when they are anything but.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

AN error card is only worth anything if it's corrected and has a lower supply.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • bgrbgr Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295927560459

This one has all of the errors though so yours isn't worth anything because it doesn't have the pink by the elbow that serious collectors are looking for. Sorry bud.

• GrooGroo Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

@RedHeart54 said:
    Given the number of Bo Jackson collectors (and there are a lot) that card would be a “known” error if it was legit and would have had a history of sales at that level. Those are fake sales. The 1988 Bo Jackson Topps Bo Jackson is probably as subject to various print maladies as any card in that set. Unfortunately there are many ebayers who try to pass print defects off as RARE errors when they are anything but.

Sad part is these type of scams occasionally worked from 2020-2022.

what about the 1956 koufax? any revelations?

@olb31 said:

Are you trying to compare that... to this? Why?

• Ah, I do see the similarities. So it's gotta be that Bo's back foot is made of sand.

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

@bgr said:

@olb31 said:

No. Just asking.

@olb31 said:

@bgr said:

@olb31 said:

No. Just asking.

Understood. I would say no revelations for me. The 56 Koufax sand behind ear meets the criteria for a true variation and has been collected for at least 30 years (to my knowledge) and likely longer. I don’t see a reasonable comparison yet.

• @bgr said:

This one has all of the errors though so yours isn't worth anything because it doesn't have the pink by the elbow that serious collectors are looking for. Sorry bud.

~~~~
    Thank you!

@abarr said:

@bgr said:

~~~~
    Thank you!

I want to point out that I was being facetious there. I wasn't trying to mock your question though. If there's a market for a card then that's what it's worth. Here, those sales, that you provided, do not look legitimate as others have indicated. 0-feedback buyers, 1 bid each auction. Someone is trying to create comps here to scam an ignorant buyer. For all I know that "someone" is you.

For something to be a legitimate variation which becomes collectible I would say that it usually is something that is intentionally done, sometimes incorrectly, and later corrected or something correct which is intentionally done and later perfected. This creates a distribution of an issue which has 2 or more variations where some of the variations may be more desirable based on their rarity.

Like the Frank Thomas NNOF, or the Billy Ripken FF variations, or.. the Koufax 'sand behind ear' variation. That doesn't mean that the 88 Bo Jackson "No Right Foot" variation (I'm joking again) isn't an error - it's just not recognized as one and there's no market that I'm aware of.

• @bgr said:

@abarr said:

@bgr said:

~~~~
    Thank you!

I want to point out that I was being facetious there. I wasn't trying to mock your question though. If there's a market for a card then that's what it's worth. Here, those sales, that you provided, do not look legitimate as others have indicated. 0-feedback buyers, 1 bid each auction. Someone is trying to create comps here to scam an ignorant buyer. For all I know that "someone" is you.

For something to be a legitimate variation which becomes collectible I would say that it usually is something that is intentionally done, sometimes incorrectly, and later corrected or something correct which is intentionally done and later perfected. This creates a distribution of an issue which has 2 or more variations where some of the variations may be more desirable based on their rarity.

Like the Frank Thomas NNOF, or the Billy Ripken FF variations, or.. the Koufax 'sand behind ear' variation. That doesn't mean that the 88 Bo Jackson "No Right Foot" variation (I'm joking again) isn't an error - it's just not recognized as one and there's no market that I'm aware of.

No worries at all! I know it's difficult to read someone's intention through text, but I didn't take it as if you were mocking me. I am new to the collecting world, so there are a lot of things that I am still a novice to, and error cards are one of them. Your feedback was helpful :)

• GrooGroo Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Bo knows it's a scam